Hi Alistair,

On 8 February 2013 17:09, Alistair Baxter <alist...@mve.com> wrote:

>  We had thought the problem was to do with the database pager, which
> declares that it uses additional threads, whilst the Android version of OSG
> is said to not support multithreading (at least for rendering).****

It's likely that threading restriction is down to how the Android provided
graphics context was integrated with osgViewer, I haven't work on Android
yet so can't talk about specifics, but I'm guessing it'll be using
something like GraphicsWindowEmbedded to make it easier to graft the
context into osgViewer without providing all the usual support required for
managing a full graphics context.

Android and the OSG itself should cope fine with multi-threading, and even
the viewer side could probably be done multi-threaded if the appropriate
GraphicsWindow subclass from provided.  The use of GraphicsWindowEmbedded
and it's limitation of threading of the viewer won't effect threading
otherwise so the database pager should work just fine.

The only problem with threading would be if there are other issues on the
threading implementation - perhaps OpenThreads isn't full implemented.

> However, running out of memory is also a possibility, I shall have a go at
> investigating memory limits for the database pager in our app.****

One way to test would be generate a database with smaller tile resolutions
for the image and elevation data.  Run osgdem --help to see all the options
available.  You can also manage the LOD selection at runtime by setting the
viewer's Camera's LODScale.   It'd recommend trying this all out on a
desktop system first so you get a feel of the effect of various options and
then try out on the Android device.

Another thing you might want to look at is the situation with compressed
textures on the device and exposed by OpenGL ES on the platform, normally
on the desktop one uses OpenGL S3TC compressed textures to improve memory
bandwidth and total memory usage, you may need to select different
compression to work on the mobile device.