Hi Robert,

CLAMP_TO_BORDER is used so that if the shader lookup goes beyond the
bounds of the texture it doesn't get inappropriate data i.e back with
an alpha of zero at least will be culled by most shaders so will allow
the volume data to stand on it's own.

I can also see value in CLAMP_TO_EDGE as an option as well as
controlling the border colour when one is using CLAMP_TO_BORDER.

We could potentially could add an option into the
osgVolume::ImageLayer to provide hints to the texture setup.

Robert.