Hi all (again)
Upping this thread as Robert want some windows developer input before
he merges a submission of mine. The lack of responses suggests that
no-one ever used the OpenThreads::Mutex on win32 like i did (or
actually how I used it on linux and then expected the same behavior on
win32), but it could also be due to me not being able to explain the
problem properly so lets try again.
The major problem is the OpenThreads::Mutex behaves differently with
the win32 CriticalSection and linux pthreads back-ends, i.e. the Mutex
is recursive on win32 but not on linux. Furthermore the api of
OpenThreads wasn't fully implemented regarding the MutexType
(Recursive or normal). Implementing this feature also solves the first
issue.
My submission implements OpenThreads::Mutex::MUTEX_RECURSIVE using
CRITICAL_SECTION (this solution was previously used regardsless of
user selected MutexType), but WaitForSingleObject() type semaphores
for MUTEX_NORMAL type mutexes. This makes my simulators behave on both
windows and linux but perhaps there are some documented or
undocumented drawbacks with Create/ReleaseSemaphore and
WaitForSingleObject that I am not aware of ?

regards
Mattias