Hi FL,

I'd use a slave Camera attached to the Viewer that shares the same
graphics context as the main viewer windows, have this Camera use an
FBO, and just set up the viewport and buffers to the size you need.
You can toggle on/off the slave Camera by setting it's NodeMask to 0x0
for off, 0xffffffff for on.

Robert.