Hi Robert,

The OSG automatically reference counts Nodes and other objects in the scene
graph.  If you want to remove Nodes or other objects from the scene graph
you need to call the appropriate methods to removing them.  If you want to
remove a child from a group then you simply call group->removeChild(child);

I can't see how calling group->removeChild(child) is complicated, it's
about as straight forward as one can get if you want to remove a referenced
from one object from another.  It really isn't a case of doing
group->removeChild(child) as well, it's usually the one thing you need to
do.  If you have other ref_ptr<> references to the child then once these
ref_ptr<>'s go out of scope then what they are pointing to will be
automatically unrefenced, and if this is the less refernece to it, it will
be automatically deleted for you.

It's really hard to know what you are struggling with in your own
application usage, but it rather sounds like you are over managing things.

Robert.