Hi Bram,

On 1 September 2014 20:12, Bram Vaessen <bram.vaes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess as the creator of a well known open source project you are
> entitled to make claims about what all programmers should be capable of
> doing, but if the problem is that not enough people are contributing to the
> documentation, my first idea would be: try to make it easier to contribute,
> remove obstacles.

Perhaps I should qualify.  As a project lead of an open source project that
has tried to make easier for contributors to contribute by trying Wiki's
*TWIECE* before and for it to have provided very limited success.

So we have tried what you are suggesting and it didn't work out how you are
suggesting it could.

> For example, I do know how to use repositories, but that doesn't
> automatically mean that I checked out the source of OSG trough your
> repository, I downloaded a stable version. So if I would want to contribute
> to doxygen or readthedocs I would still have to set up the repository
> connection for that reason alone, and to be honest (if we weren't having
> this discussion) I would probably have thought: "oh never mind then, that's
> too much work for making some small contributions to the docs".

In the case of the OSG source code you aren't forced to use version control
to submit a fix, all is required is the modified files.  Potentially you
could do the same with docs if they are packaged in the correct way that
they could easily be merged by a maintainer.

However, if you are regular contributor then it just makes life much easier
if you use the repository to pull down the latest revisions so that your
own modifications aren't invalidated by other changes.

But still I understand the dilemma of keeping the docs in sync, so I think
> ReadTheDocs would be a good alternative because it would allow
> contributions to the docs in a structured/API manner without messing around
> with the actual source code, which I believe to be the most valuable
> addition at this point.

Potentially ReadTheDocs would help.  I don't know enough yet about how easy
it is to manage/contribute to make any decision.