Hi Christian
Hi all,

I was wondering if there are commonly used conventions which texture units do what in 3D models used for realtime rendering (games etc).

For example I see that most 3D models enable texture unit #1 for the diffuse texture, whereas unit #0 is unused most of the time.

Now what if the model also contained a bump or normal map? On which texture unit would such maps typically use?

Would anyone have an example OSG file that uses both a diffuse and a normal texture, rendered with the fixed function pipeline? I am trying to get started with normal maps now and this would be a big help, especially if such a model follows the usual conventions.
Why would you want to use fixed function pipeline here at all?
Usually you can put the textures to whatever unit you want, as long as you create sampler uniforms with a name.

In my production pipeline, I don't have the additional textures (normal map, specular map, height map, emission map, ...) in the model, but will bind them with a visitor when loading/compiling the model. So there is no typical for most of the cases. If you have a model exported as FBX for instance, the loader will more or less determine the texture unit used. Here you might want to visit the model and put the stateset's textures to the samplers.

Cheers
Sebastian

Christian