Hi Robert,

On 09/26/2016 04:35 PM, Robert Osfield wrote:
HI Christoph,

On 26 September 2016 at 14:20, Christoph Weiss <we...@wsoptics.de> wrote:
I strongly disagree with the last sentence.  It is the most general use case
possible:  using standard C++ features.

Please quite the hyperbole.  It does you no favours.

I am been writing C++ programs since 1992, been the project lead of
the OSG since 1999, the OSG has been started to embrace
mulit-ithreading in 2001.  I've interacted with thousands of
developers over the years. Strongly disagree with you may, but think
twice, between me and you who might know the most general use case for
the OSG?

I'm not some wet behind the ears engineer that knows nothing about
C++, threading or performance, these are things that make the OSG what
it is.

When I say we are talking about a very specific usage case it's
because in my 1i8 years as the project lead of the OSG it in my
experience it is a specific usage case rather than a common one.

Robert, I'm not quite sure what prompts you to bring in personal attributes here. Nor do I see any hyperbole to begin with. I stated that I strongly disagree. You can in turn disagree. I never was my intention to make this personal, and quite frankly I do not see how I should have.

I did not question your authority on software development in general, or OSG specifically. If you think I put this on a personal level, please point out where. Otherwise, please refrain from arguments by authority, they do you no favors.

My only interest here is to improve OSG. For me, it doesn't matter at all if the behavior of OSG is changed or not -- I already fixed it in our code base by using your suggestion for white I'm grateful. I can quite clearly see future users run into the same issues that I had, and I'd like to see OSG improved and not make that happen.

However, since it feels as if this is turning into something about who's right, not technical aspects, I'll quit the entire discussion now.

Christoph