Hi Jiljith,
I see no problem in your code, and it works when I add it to my osgviewer.
with OSG_NOTIFY_LEVEL=NOTICE it generates 2 messages:
Obj Found map in options, [DIFFUSE]=0
Scaling image 'D:\laurens\Download\objDog/Dog_diffuse.jpg' from (450,450)
to (512,512)

I suggest you can convert your file with "osgconv -O DIFFUSE=0
12228_Dog_v1_L2.obj 12228_Dog_v1_L2.obj.osgt"
so you can read it in your program with "osgDB::readRefNodeFile(path.
toStdString() + ".osgt", opt);"
maybe your scene has no light, or other reasons why the dog shows up black.
Laurens.