Hi Robert,
  You're right, it wasn't really a scenegraph as you described it.
Basically, each subsystem had the scene stored in a manner that was optimal
for its purposes. (e.g. collision/response stored spatially, entity
repository stored for quick name searches, renderer stored by visibility and
states/materials, etc.) It was an interesting system which provided some
nice features, but like you said it did make other things require a more
work.

E.