So did your lawyer say what happens in the case of modifications to an
existing copyrighted body of work?  If somebody changes a character?
osg submission are often a couple of characters or a couple of lines
of fixed code.

So I think I'm weak on this, but I believe in general, each person
owns the copyright to their own works. If one work is based off
another, then it is considered a 'derivative work'. The original work
copyright owner/holder owns the right to control derivative works. So
to make a derivative work, the original owner must grant permission
for others to make derivative works unless it falls under 'fair use'
like parody. Licenses like the LGPL specify conditions and terms for
derivative works. So assuming a derivative work is legally created, I
believe the second individual owns the copyright to anything they
create and does not give the original owner rights to the new stuff in
the derivative work. An example might be the Tom & Jerry cartoon
"Dicky Moe" which is a parody of Moby Dick. Assuming for the moment
that Moby Dick wasn't already public domain (expired copyright), under
parody, MGM (or whoever owns the rights to Tom & Jerry now) can use
Moby Dick under fair use. But this would not necessarily give Herman
Melville the rights to use Tom & Jerry in another book (sequel to Moby
Dick?).

I think there may be a provision for uniqueness (original work). So
writing a single word like 'and' may not be copyrightable. But
certainly a haiku would be copyrightable. So finding the line (if
there is one) is tricky and may involve lawyers. Certainly, the safest
thing is to always get permission.

The lawyer covered two cases involving a short sound sample. One case
is where a musical 3 note sequence was in dispute. Can this sequence
be used by others to be sold in sheet music and to be reused as a
sample in an original song? I already forgot the details and outcome,
but I think for the sheet music, it was ruled that the 3 notes were
not unique so it could be printed, but in the other case, I think the
original recorded sound has another copyright for the
recording/performance/specific-interpretation which is distinct from
any alleged copyright for the 3 notes, so it was ruled as copyright
infringement.

I'm keen to be open and follow the law.  However, if you follow that
every character touched is copyrighted by an individual then rapidly
you end up with a legal quagmire, if you don't have a written record
of copyright ownership then you don't have a means for tracking
potential copyright owners, and if you don't you can't do anything
w.r.t to that aggregate copyright, including taking action over
copyright infringement.  Once you can't enforce copyright because of
copyright law then you are in real mess, so such extreme
interpretations are really dangerous and would make a mockery out of
the law.

You have to be practical about things, if users want to retain
copyright ownership to code then they should provide a copyright
notice, including means for contacting them for the term of the
copyright.  We could possible add a clause to website

SubmissionProtocol and perhaps a footer to osg-submission emails that
unless otherwise submitter explicitly retains copyright is assumed
copyright to the changes are transferred automatically to the
copyright owners written at the top of the file governs.

Unfortunately, "being practical about things" isn't our right.
Copyright is to protect the creators of works, not the users (and keep
lawyers employed). This is also why most open source projects never
relicense, because of the pain of tracking down everybody. I know a
few open source projects that are meticulous about keeping contact
information for this very purpose. Failure to keep good documentation
is no excuse for violating copyright (or not paying taxes :)) (And I
think this is why there is a explicit special clause in the LGPL which
allows relicensing to GPL, which avoids needing to contact all
copyright holders.)

I remember some fairly high profile project went through this awhile
back. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one. (Apache?) If somebody
knows, this would be a good thing to research.

A submission protocol might help since there is an explicit transfer
of rights. But it might need to be in the license itself since the
LGPL says one thing, but we are doing something else. I think this is
what the Mozilla Public License does. But I think this clause is also
what makes it incompatible with the GPL so you have be careful about
these things. The last thing we want to do is start with a (L)GPL type
license and suddenly make the new license incompatible with the old
one.

-Eric