http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Apr-02-Sat-
2005/news/26204008.html

Saturday, April 02, 2005

E-mails say scientists fabricated quality assurance on Yucca
Mountain research

REVIEW-JOURNAL

Scientists on the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste project used "fudge
factors" and made up dates to fabricate quality assurance of their
work in modeling how water would move through the mountain under
future climate conditions.

Their fabrications and tactics to cover up their shortcomings are
told in a 90-page collection of redacted e-mails released Friday by
Rep. Jon Porter, R-Nev., whose subcommittee will air the allegations
at a hearing Tuesday.

Some e-mails from scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey, which
also appear in Department of Energy files, instruct the reader
to "delete this memo after you've read it."

One says flatly: "I've made up the dates and names. ... If they need
more proof I will be happy to make up more stuff."

Another confirms that quality assurance for documenting data was
sorely lacking in the models used to determine how much water will
seep through the mountain, carrying off radioactive particles as the
containers holding 77,000 tons of spent fuel corrode over time.

"Wait till they figure out that nothing I've provided them is QA
(quality assurance). If they really want the stuff, they'll have to
pay to do it right," says an Oct. 29, 1998, message that appeared in
both sets of redacted e-mails from the Interior and Energy
departments.

The e-mails portray a workplace where disgruntled employees felt
pressured and rushed.

One e-mail indicates two sets of files were used, one to make
quality assurance officials "happy" and one that was actually used
in the models.

The words "fudge" or "fudge factor" appear in a couple of e-mails,
including one that states: "Our infiltration model has virtually no
infiltration in washes; what infiltration there is in washes is
basically put there as a fudge factor. ... I could probably tear
apart any of our models. Did somebody say seepage?"

The e-mails show how frustrated some scientists were with trying to
meet deadlines.

"Yes the work is behind schedule but so is everything else because
I'm the only one doing this work and I'll be damned if I drop
everything else," an employee said in a March 26, 1999,
message. "I'd be very happy to just hand the work over to somebody
else at this point."

The inspectors general for the Department of Energy and the
Department of Interior are jointly investigating, along with the
FBI, said Mary Kendall, a deputy inspector general at Interior.

The Energy Department also is convening a study team to assess the
impact on the science that it put forth when Yucca Mountain was
recommended as a nuclear waste site in 2002.

Because of the investigations, the names of the e-mail authors and
the recipients of the messages were redacted by subcommittee
lawyers, Porter said. The e-mails weren't redacted when they were
turned over to the subcommittee.

"We cannot jeopardize the criminal investigation, nor will we,"
Porter said Friday at his office in Henderson.

A summary supplied by the House panel indicated the most provocative
messages were exchanged by two U.S. Geological Survey employees.

An Interior Department official said March 16 that up to 10
individuals might have had some involvement. Porter said some e-
mails circulated to 40 or 50 people.

Critics of the project seized the opportunity Friday to say the
controversy will have a crippling effect on the government's
multibillion-dollar effort to license and build a repository at
Yucca Mountain.

"I thought at first it might be one or more minor isolated incidents
of some fabrication, but it's clear in reading these that it was
many more than that," said Bob Loux, executive director of the
Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects.

"It's clear this mountain just isn't going to work," he said.

Loux said, "The thing that is clear is that there was so much
pressure from management to come up with the right answers that
these guys weren't sleeping at night. The pressure must have been so
great because they made stuff up."

The e-mails were dated between 1998 and 2000, when the Energy
Department began a push to piece together its science, including an
emphasis on quality assurance.

The so-called QA process required science technicians to
painstakingly document and justify their work according to rigorous
standards.

" 'Piss on QA' was pretty much the spirit of the times, because we
were holding them accountable to do things right," a project auditor
said Friday. "Maybe these people didn't have much budget or time,
who knows? Everybody has their reasons for doing things."

Porter said his House subcommittee plans to release more internal
documents Monday that show agency officials measuring potential
damage as they reviewed the e-mail messages when they were
discovered several weeks ago.

"These e-mails describe deliberate failures to follow quality
assurance procedures and irreproducible results related to the
infiltration of water into the repository," the subcommittee
chairman said in a DOE memo that will be released.

"These documents acknowledging the problems are real and that they
cannot duplicate those tests is the gut of what the story is,"
Porter said.

He said forthcoming documents suggest that officials at Bechtel-
SAIC, the project's managing contractor, might have been aware of
the problems last year. The subcommittee has invited Bechtel-SAIC to
send a representative to testify at Tuesday's hearing.

"This begs for questions on how many people were involved and to
what degree was management involved," Porter said.

Nevada leaders who have fought the government over Yucca Mountain
said the disclosures were a powerful blow to a program reeling from
legal setbacks and budget cuts.

"It should be obvious to everyone now that Yucca Mountain isn't
going anywhere," said Democratic Sen. Harry Reid, who renewed a call
for the Energy Department to put the project on hold.

Republican Sen. John Ensign said the documents "have finally blown
the lid off this fraudulent and ill-conceived project. The e-mails
are proof that the only thing necessary at this point is that we get
to the truth."

Democratic Rep. Shelley Berkley said, "If this doesn't put an end to
Yucca Mountain, I don't know what could."

Republican Rep. Jim Gibbons said he still was reviewing the
documents but what he had seen so far was "quite revealing and
disturbing."

Stephens Washington Bureau writer Samantha Young contributed to this
report.

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM