http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/zones/sundaytimesNEW/business/business111770502
4.aspx

The Curse of Gold

Thursday June 02, 2005 11:37 - (SA)

By Justin Brown

The lure of gold has fuelled massive human rights atrocities in the
north-eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Human Rights
Watch (HRW) alleges in a new report - "The Curse of Gold".

The 159-page report, illustrates the trail of tainted gold from the DRC to
neighbouring Uganda from where it is sent to global gold markets in Europe
and elsewhere.

The report documents how a leading Swiss gold refining company, Metalor
Technologies, previously bought gold from Uganda.

Millions of dollars worth of gold are smuggled out of Congo each year, some
of it destined for Switzerland.

Metalor Technologies bought gold from Uganda. Asked about these purchases by
HRW on April 21, 2005, Metalor stated it believed "the gold...was of legal
origin."

But since Uganda has almost no gold reserves of its own, a significant
amount of the gold purchased by the company was almost certainly mined in
Congo.

In its public statement of May 20, 2005, Metalor said it would not accept
any further deliveries from Uganda until the company could clarify Uganda's
position and statistics on gold production and export.

"We hope other companies will follow the lead set by Metalor," said Anneke
Van Woudenberg, senior researcher on DRC at HRW.

The gold concessions of north-eastern Congo, some of the richest in Africa,
could help to rebuild Congo's shattered economy.

But, according to HRW researchers, fighting between armed groups for the
control of the gold mining town of Mongbwalu cost the lives of at least
2,000 civilians

between June 2002 and September 2004.

One miner told HRW: "We are cursed because of our gold. All we do is suffer.
There is no benefit to us."

Throughout the conflict, artisanal mining has continued.

"The problems we have documented are not unique to Congo, nor to one
international company. Rules governing corporate behaviour must be enforced,
otherwise they are meaningless," the report said.

In August 2003, a group of United Nations (UN) experts adopted a set of
draft human rights business standards, known as the UN Norms, which
signalled a growing consensus on the need for standards on corporate
responsibility, but they have not yet been widely implemented by companies.

The international community has also failed to effectively tackle the link
between resources exploitation and conflict in the DRC, choosing to ignore
previous UN reports that highlighted the issue.

North-eastern Congo has been one of the worst hit areas during Congo's
devastating five-year war.

Competing armed groups carried out ethnic massacres, rape and torture in
this mineral-rich corner of Congo.

A local conflict between Hema and Lendu ethnic groups allied with national
rebel groups and foreign backers, including Uganda and Rwanda, has claimed
over 60,000 lives since 1999, according to United Nations estimates.

These losses are just one part of an estimated four million civilians dead
throughout the Congo, a toll that makes this war more deadly to civilians
than any other since World War II.

"Efforts to make peace in Congo risk failure unless the issue of natural
resource exploitation and its link to human rights abuses are put at the top
of the agenda," said

Van Woudenberg.

"Congolese citizens deserve to benefit from their gold resources, not be
cursed by them," she added.

I-Net Bridge

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM