This about covers that scumbag Felt...

Bruce

=

This will run someplace tomorrow - not sure where yet.  It captures most of

the issues, I think.  Those who lump all bureau whistleblowers together are

shallow minded and have a simplistic world view, in my opinion:  Here's the

oped:

"Deep Throat" has at last come forward.  Arguably the most notorious

informant in recent history is former FBI official Mark Felt, and it's been

confirmed

by The Washington Post.   Felt was second in command at the Federal Bureau

of

Investigation during Watergate, and is now 91 years of age.  In stepping

forward he not only destroys his reputation, but he takes a chunk out of the

reputation of the agency that supported him and his family in a comfortable

lifestyle for so many years.

Had Felt used the lawful route to voice his concerns about the Nixon

Administration he might be remembered with a modicum of respect, if not

admiration.

Some in the Nixon Administration were misusing their powers but not because

they were feathering their own nests like Felt was.  For their sins they got

lengthy trials and prison sentences.   Felt broke numerous federal laws, but

received immunity from prosecution by hiding behind the skirts of two

Washington

Post reporters. They made their careers, and he made a clean getaway.

Felt's whistleblowing didn't cost him the respect of his peers.  He was not

censored by his agency.  He didn't lose his job.

An informant for the Post, Felt avoided cross-examination.  He appeared

before no grand jury, gave no oath to congressional committees as legitimate

whistleblowers often do, nor was he questioned or attacked by political

opposition.

No one in authority had a chance to examine his motives or credibility.  No

other media could interview Felt to look for inconsistencies, or probe

critical

data.  No federal jury ever weighed his evidence.

In fact, Felt's information was second and third hand.  He was not

collecting

testimony through the examination of witnesses.  He performed no search,

made

no arrests.  He had read report summaries given to him by FBI agents who

were

doing the real work.

Agents briefing Felt then must wonder today about the real reasons why he

asked his questions.  How many of his inquiries were based on his promise to

newspaper to keep the information flowing?  His subordinates and his boss,

the

acting FBI Director, believed Felt was working for the FBI and that's why

they

gave him highly secret information.  But Felt was serving two masters.

Why did the Post believe Felt?  Was it because he was an FBI agent?

Contrast

that with how the Post treated me, a 26-year veteran of the FBI when I came

forward with political allegations against Bill Clinton.  They attacked me

in

many articles, writing that I could not possibly be telling the truth.  They

accused me of using second and third hand information when in fact I worked

in

the White House day after day, for five years.

When Felt came to them with second and third hand information about a

Republican president, they were not so surgical in their approach to the

truth.

And

consider, Bob Woodward added to his own questionable legacy by getting

in-depth interviews with a CIA director who was diagnosed to be in a deep

coma.

Remarkably, Woodward sleep-walked through eight years of Bill and Hillary

Clinton.  There he was, sitting on the second biggest story of his career -

the

emerging impeachment of Bill Clinton - and he didn't act.  Travelgate, FBI

Filegate, missing Rose law firm documents found in Hillary's residence, the

conviction of Webb Hubble, Vince Foster's mysterious death, the endless

parade

of

White House bimbos…all seemed to add up to nothing in the eyes of
Woodward

and

his colleagues at the Washington Post.

When it came to Bill Clinton, the Post always seemed late to the party.

You can be a whistleblower in this town, and survive.  But we are a nation

of

laws, and there is a path for whistleblowers approved by Congress and the

courts, and encouraged by the White House.  In the event a whistleblower

thinks

he has important information that should be revealed for the good of the

nation, he can do it and in fact, has an absolute obligation to come

forward.

Felt broke the law, and if he had been caught he probably would have been

indicted and convicted.  His actions were not in service to his agency, or

to the citizens who paid his salary and now support his retirement.   His
actions

were in service to himself.

.

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM