Appears Mr. Novak is feeling the heat of the Plame investigation.
Perhaps the special prosecutor has not let him entirely off the hook
after all. Nor was he getting any relief during the CNN program with a
copy of Who's Who on the table ready for Carville to quiz Novak about.

David Bier

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050805/ap_en_tv/tv_cnn_novak_18

 Novak Apologizes for Swearing on CNN Air

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television WriterFri Aug 5, 1:23 PM ET

Robert Novak apologized Friday for swearing on the air and walking off
a CNN set, but said it had nothing to do with the federal probe
sparked by his revelation of a CIA officer's name in a 2003 column.

"I apologize for my conduct and I'm sorry I did it," he said in an
interview.

CNN has pulled him off the air indefinitely. Novak said "I'll follow
their guidance" on when he returns.

CNN correspondent Ed Henry said afterward that he had been about to
ask Novak about his role in the investigation of the leak of Valerie
Plame's identity, which Novak has repeatedly refused to comment on
aside from some references in his column.

"That had nothing to do with it, absolutely nothing," Novak said. "I
was sorry he said that."

The incident occurred Thursday as Novak and Democratic operative James
Carville were handicapping the Senate candidacy of former Florida
Secretary of State Katherine Harris. Novak said the opposition of the
Republican establishment in Florida might not be fatal for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you hate
to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these right
wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why The Wall Street
Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied. "Just
let it go."

As moderator Henry stepped in to ask Carville a question, Novak walked
off the set.

A CNN spokeswoman, Edie Emery, called Novak's behavior "inexcusable
and unacceptable." She said "we've asked Mr. Novak to take some time
off," she said.

Only two weeks ago, CNN executives defended their decision to keep
Novak on the air during the investigation into the leak. Novak
identified Plame in July 2003 as the wife of Bush administration
critic and former U.S. ambassador Joseph Wilson.

In his syndicated column Monday, Novak provided some details after
having been largely silent about his role. He did not dispute that a
former CIA spokesman, Bill Harlow, told him he should not print
Plame's name during conversations they had before the column was
published.

But Novak reasserted that no CIA official ever told him in advance
"that Valerie Plame Wilson's disclosure would endanger her or anybody
else."

Wilson has said the leak of his wife's name was an attempt by the
administration to discredit him. Two other reporters connected to the
case openly fought the revelation of their sources, and Judith Miller
of The New York Times has been jailed for refusing to cooperate with
prosecutors.

Henry said Thursday that Novak had been told before the "Inside
Politics" segment that he was going to be asked on air about the CIA case.

"I'm hoping that we will be able to ask him about that in the future,"
Henry said.

Novak has been a longtime contributor to CNN, taking the conservative
point of view during the just-canceled "Crossfire" show.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hq98uso/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123389315/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>