“We made it clear for the heads of defense and law enforcement
agencies [representatives of the Chechen Interior Ministry and
commanders of special units were present at the session] that those
who kill innocent people must be stopped â€" either lagged or eliminated
by any possible means. We have adopted the fatwa which says that the
one whose hands are in blood must be eliminated,”

http://www.kommersant.com/doc.asp?idr=527&id=598827

Chechen Siloviki Become Allah’s Warriors
// They will fight Wahhabi by Shariat laws
War on Extremism
The Council of Imams of Chechnya blessed Chechen defense and law
enforcement officers to fight Wahhabi saying one can and must kill
people of the same religion if they are engaged in criminal
activities. The fatwa accepted by the theologians must not be regarded
as the declaring of jihad on radical Islamites, the republic’s mufti
Sultan Mirzaev told Kommersant. Nonetheless, the decision of Chechen
imams drew criticism of the Council of Russia’s Muftis.
Wahhabi appeared in Chechnya not a long time ago. The first Chechen
war, which ended up in Dudaev’s advocates regaining the power,
attracted preachers from Saudi Arabia and adjacent Dagestan where
radical Islamites are traditionally influential. In summer 1997,
Grozny hosted the Congress of Peoples of Chechnya and Dagestan. The
congress’s co-chairmen Chechen minister of press Movladi Udugov and
the leader of Chechen Wahhabi Magomed Tagaev announced the territories
of the two republics a caliphate with the notorious Shamil Basayev as
its imam. Chechnya’s then mufti Akhmat Kadyrov vehemently opposed the
ideas of Wahhabism and convened the Congress of Muslims of the North
Caucasus to appeal to the Russian Justice Ministry to recognize
Wahhabism an extremist movement and prohibit it. The minister Pavel
Krasheninnikov did not share the mufti’s apprehension. “We do not view
Wahhabism as an extremist movement,” he concluded. Thus the inspired
Dagestani Wahhabi declared the sovereignty of two Dagestani villages
of Karamakhi and Chabanmakhi, which meant that norms of Shariat acted
alongside Russian laws there. The federal troops had to overthrow the
Shariat authorities in Karamakhi and Chabanmakhi summer 1999 by the
air force and artillery. The following Wahhabi’s campaign headed by
Hattab and Shamil Basayev in Dagestan triggered the second Chechen war.

The federal authorities have tried to crack down on radical Islamites
since then. The Russian Assistant Prosecutor General Vladimir
Kolesnikov called for instituting criminal proceedings against Wahhabi
followers in April 2004. He suggested that radical Islamist beginners
be sentenced to a year, while repeated Wahhabi be convicted to “the
maximum possible punishment”. Muslim clergy described the proposal as
“religious discrimination”. The idea to outlaw Wahhabism did not win
backing with Russian lawmakers either.

The prosecutor’s initiative was revived in April 2005 by Chechnya’s
then mufti Akhmad Shamaev who suggested banning Wahhabism in Chechnya
as extremist ideology. He referred to the example of cross-border
Dagerstan where the republic’s state council adopted a law providing
for criminal liability for the propaganda of Wahhabism back in 2000.
Shamaev stepped down soon due to disagreements with the republic’s
leaders but new mufti Sultan Mirzaev kept the ball rolling. “Officers
of the Chechen Interior Ministry repeatedly addressed me and other
religious figures asking to explain to them who Wahhabi are, what the
essence of their ideology is , if they should be eliminated,” mufti
Mirzaev told Kommersant. He says Chechen soldiers used to feel
uncertain about “the fact if the war against Wahhabi is justified in
terms of Islam, whether they commit a sin killing people of the same
religion.” “But these are notorious bandits, there is no other name
for them, they commit crimes using religious mottos as a cover
misleading young fighters,” the mufti underscored.

These uncertainties were dispelled at yesterday’s extended Council of
the republic’s imams held in the Kadyrovs’ clan village of Tsentoroy.
Mirzoev claims that all religious figures bar none supported the fatwa
(religious decree with the force of law) on the fight with the
so-called Wahhabi, passed by the council. “We made it clear for the
heads of defense and law enforcement agencies [representatives of the
Chechen Interior Ministry and commanders of special units were present
at the session] that those who kill innocent people must be stopped â€"
either lagged or eliminated by any possible means. We have adopted the
fatwa which says that the one whose hands are in blood must be
eliminated,” the mufti informed Kommersant. Law enforcement agencies
willingly accepted the decision of the religion’s clergy. “They won’t
have any scruples now. They will be sure they are doing piety.”
However, the mufti made it a point that it is not the matter of jihad
(holy war) against Wahhabi since “muftis cannot take a decision like
this.”

“I welcome this decision,” Ramzan Kadyrov, Chechnya’s Deputy Prime
Minister, who is in charge of defense and law enforcement agencies,
was the first to react. “Offices of law enforcement agencies have to
be sure that their actions do not contradict the Koran or Islam”

“The Council of Muftis is most surprised at this decision,” Farid
Asadullin, chairman of the information and analytical center of the
Council of Russia’s Muftis, said. “I have seen the Chechen mufti
recently, we had a talk but I did not have a slightest idea that some
murky decision like this might be made,” Asadullin told Kommersant.
“No one has a right to judge the faith in Allah, except Allah himself.”

by  Musa Muradov, Oksana Alexeeva

Russian Article as of Aug. 05, 2005

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h27m9ae/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123390343/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>