And "special sentences" too, like the death penalty.

Bruce

Britain May Create Special Courts for Terror Suspects

By
<http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=ALAN%20COWELL&fdq=199601
01&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=ALAN%20COWELL&inline=nyt-per> ALAN COWELL

New York Times

August 09, 2005

LONDON, Aug. 9 - As Britain promises more restrictive counterterrorism laws
in the aftermath of the July bombings, a senior official raised the
possibility today of "special courts" able to approve longer periods of
detention without charge for terrorism suspects.

The suggestion by Lord Falconer, who, as lord chancellor, heads the
judiciary, was part of a more stringent counterterrorism approach promised
by Prime Minister Tony Blair and denounced by critics as a major departure
from Britain's traditional sense of tolerance.

But some critics took the latest announcement as a sign of confusion in
government ranks about how the promised new policies were being unveiled and
implemented. Simon Hughes, a spokesman for the Liberal Democrat opposition,
called it "government by press release."

And, for some, the planned measures deepened a sense of unease that civil
liberties were being sacrificed to the dictates of national security.

"The thought of secret hearings where once again the accused will never hear
the case against them fills me with dread," said Shami Chakrabarti, director
of the Liberty civil rights group.

The uncertainty about the government's intentions deepened with news that,
one day after Mr. Blair promised to move against militant Muslim clerics,
Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed, one of the most contentious Islamic figures, had
left the country on Saturday for what he termed a vacation in Lebanon.

Mr. Blair had promised to restrain militant clerics. British newspapers have
portrayed Mr. Mohammed as an incarnation of malice, suggesting he fled the
country in haste as the new restrictions closed in on him.

But the Syrian-born Mr. Mohammed said he left Britain through Heathrow
Airport on Saturday without incident and planned to return after a visit
with his mother in Lebanon for up to six weeks.

"I am going to return back unless the government say we are not welcome,
because my family is in the U.K.," Mr. Bakri told the BBC in a radio
interview from Lebanon. He repeated earlier statements that he would not
inform the police if he became aware of a Muslim planning an attack "because
Islam forbids me."

Mr. Blair said he planned legislation to ensure that foreign clerics
fomenting violence or hatred would be barred from Britain or deported. But
the deputy prime minister, John Prescott, said: "At the moment he has the
right to come in and out. That is the circumstance at present and we have to
change the situation in this country by law."

Referring to Mr. Mohammed's vacation plans, he said: "I say enjoy your
holiday. I hope it's a long one."

David Davies, the opposition spokesman on home affairs, said: "We all agree
that the government should take the necessary action to protect us all but I
am concerned that instead of a clear strategy, there is too much confusion."

Earlier, the Home Office confirmed a newspaper report that the authorities
were considering "a new court procedure which might allow for a pre-trial
process." But Lord Falconer denied that the authorities planned secret
trials.

"There is no question of secret trials; there is no question of jury-less
trials; there is no question of any kind of internment," he said.

Rather, he said, the government was considering introducing pre-trial
hearing at which judges with special security clearance would consider
evidence - including phone-tap evidence currently inadmissible in normal
courts - to determine, in part, whether suspects could be held without
charge for longer than the 14 days permitted under anti-terrorism laws.

Up until last December, British anti-terrorism laws permitted the indefinite
detention of foreign nationals without trial or charge. But the country's
highest court ended the practice, saying it violated European human rights
conventions.

Police officers are now seeking ways of holding suspects for up to three
months for interrogation.

"We need to debate the three months and we need to try to build a consensus
around what the right period of time is. But what is being suggested is not
any form of internment, just a sensible period to detain suspects while
sensible investigation is going on," Lord Falconer said in a radio
interview.

Britain used its existing counterterrorism laws to detain the main suspects
accused of carrying out the failed July 21 attacks on three subway trains
and a bus, which copied the July 7 bombing that claimed 56 lives including
those of four bombers.

Three suspects have been charged in court here with attempted murder and one
more with conspiracy to murder.

A fifth suspect, Hussain Osman, who is also known as Hamdi Issac, was
detained in Rome on July 29. British detectives flew to Rome and questioned
him for the first time today. Britain is seeking his extradition.

Mr. Osman has said the July 21 attackers did not intend to harm anyone, but
the British police say they could have wrought carnage on the same scale as
the July 7 bombers.

The attackers on July 21 seem to have been mainly of African background
while three of the suspected bombers who died on July 7 were British
citizens of Pakistani descent.

The police in Paris said today that they had arrested a Pakistani man at an
airport where he was found with five forged British passports and driver's
licenses. The man, said to be resident in Italy, was arrested at Charles de
Gaulle airport on Sunday as he arrived from Lahore on his way to Britain.

Apart from bombings, British officials are also concerned whether British
citizens could be attending training camps. An Arabic television station, Al
Arabiya, today broadcast what was called an Al Qaeda video purporting to
show an English-speaking militant in camouflage fatigues filmed in
Afghanistan. The authenticity of the video could not immediately be
verified.

"As you bomb us, you will be bombed us," the man said. He was shown wearing
a ski- mask and carrying an AK-47 assault rifle. "Oh, people of the west,
don't be fooled by the lies of Blair and Bush that you are free nations, for
the only freedom you have is the freedom to be slaves of your whims and
desires," he said, speaking in English.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hopjtfc/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123634501/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>