This guy is a clown and a huckster...a former CIA employee/analyst is not an
operations officer.

Bruce

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/paper410/news/2005/08/05/TopStories/Ex
Cia.Officer.Keeps.An.Eye.On.Surveillance.Technology-966051.shtml
Top Stories | 8/5/2005
Ex-CIA officer keeps an eye on surveillance technology Hayden prepares to
teach class in spring to encourage students to examine, guard their freedoms
By JJ McLaughlin

Media Credit: Micah DeBenedetto
Lance Hayden of the UT School of Information will teach a class titled "We
Like to Watch: Surveilance and Society" at the University in the spring.

Lance Hayden, a former CIA officer, knows someone is always watching.

He slinks into a coffee shop, absorbing his surroundings, adjusting his
sunglasses. He wears an aqua-green shirt. His face could remain straight in
a cloud of laughing gas.

The Ph.D. candidate worked in intelligence for six years, researched in
academia and entered the private sector. Now, he is preparing to teach a
spring undergraduate course called "We like to watch: surveillance and
society."

"My former career made me realize how fragile freedom can be," Hayden said.
"There are always people looking to manipulate and victimize you if you are
not on your guard. And that is why teaching a class like this is so
important to me - it's a chance to teach others the skills they need to
understand and protect their freedoms."

Hayden knows about his subject from all sides. He has contributed
professional literature to the Association of Internet Researchers and the
Information Systems Security Association. As a manager at Cisco Systems
Inc., he helped look for holes in clients' networks. He knows from this sort
of work that great amounts of information often aren't stored securely.

The class will be Hayden's first experience teaching undergraduates. Its
reading list includes books with titles like "Database Nation" and "Spying
With Maps."

"Through his facilitation, the students will replace the rather naive
perspective of the topic with a new, informed understanding of surveillance
and security and its implications for a democratic society," said Mary Lynn
Rice-Lively, associate dean at the School of Information.

Hayden's eyebrows parch above the rim of his sunglasses when he states his
goal in teaching the course.

"It is my goal to push students to being able to think from a wide
perspective and evaluate from a lot of elements so as to determine their own
truth as to what is really going on in society," he said.

In order to understand the impact of being watched, he says, one cannot
simply equate surveillance with an involuntary loss of privacy. Instead,
there are both legitimate and problematic uses of spying technology.
Databases and monitoring systems can prove invaluable in fields as varied as
medicine, advertising and law enforcement.

"In a digital age and society, we are often walking around and leaking a lot
of information that we are not aware of, and all this information can be
monitored," Hayden said. "From a technical standpoint, these eyes are
neutral, but it's how it's used and the impact that surveillance has on
people's behavior that makes it a concern."

Some such concerns arose on campus in the Spring 2003 semester. Months
before, The Daily Texan used public information laws to request the
locations of campus surveillance cameras. UT officials wanted to withhold
the records out of the fear that terrorists could attack campus buildings or
gain access to sensitive federal research.

After Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said UT officials had to hand over
the information, they sued his office. The case was tossed out of court and
appealed. Then a new state law, signed by the governor in 2003, made
information about security systems in state buildings exempt from public
release.

"You can make an argument that students and taxpayers should have the right
to know, but the question becomes deeper," Hayden said. "There are
surveillance mechanisms used to protect the freedoms of everyone and at the
same time they may restrict those freedoms."

He says, however, that a lack of openness often makes citizens nervous about
being watched.

"One of the problems with surveillance is the lack of knowledge and the idea
of accountability," Hayden said. "You tell me it's only going to be used in
certain scenarios, but how do I know? How do I know if the cameras are real
or fake even, or what is done with footage?"

William McVey, a former co-worker, noted that Hayden has a knack for
illustrating concepts in a "compelling" manner. Hayden discusses voyeurism
and surveillance by bringing up MTV's "Real World" series. He compares the
multilayered debate over surveillance to a sliced onion. And, in explaining
his life after leaving the CIA, he compares an intelligence agent to a
super-proficient used-car salesman.

"You really lose track of who you are. I realized that if I was going to be
successful and make a career out of it, I was going to have to become that
used-car salesman," Hayden said. "I was going to have to adopt that
manipulative lifestyle more than I wanted to, and at that point, I decided I
was going to have to do something else.

After being chased, watching a fellow CIA agent gunned down and remembering
the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, Hayden believed the world was changing.

"It was a realization of a different world. It's changing almost faster than
we are capable of keeping up with," Hayden said. "We have choices regarding
our technologies and how we use them. Once the choice is made, and the train
leaves the station, it gets more difficult to stop it. Students coming out
of this class have to recognize and make that choice."

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hae7gpj/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123681871/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>