"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It's not
like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee
could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not
expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee
breaches that flooded New Orleans."

Lies, lies and damn lies.  Everybody, including Chertoff, was briefed
on Katrina's consequences.  Surprise, someone came forward to expose
the lie.  His job is probably toast...

David Bier

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054595

Hurricane Center Director Tells Paper He Briefed Brown and Chertoff on
Danger of Severe Flooding

By E&P Staff

Published: September 04, 2005 6:55 PM ET

NEW YORKDr. Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center,
told the Times-Picayune Sunday afternoon that officials with the
Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland
Security, including FEMA Director Mike Brown and Homeland Security
Secretary Michael Chertoff, listened in on electronic briefings given
by his staff in advance of Hurricane Katrina slamming Louisiana and
Mississippi--and were advised of the storm's potential deadly effects.

"Mayfield said the strength of the storm and the potential disaster it
could bring were made clear during both the briefings and in formal
advisories, which warned of a storm surge capable of overtopping
levees in New Orleans and winds strong enough to blow out windows of
high-rise buildings," the paper reported. "He said the briefings
included information on expected wind speed, storm surge, rainfall and
the potential for tornados to accompany the storm as it came ashore.

"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It's not
like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee
could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not
expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee
breaches that flooded New Orleans.

Brown, Mayfield said, is a dedicated public servant. "The question is
why he couldn't shake loose the resources that were needed,'' he said.

Brown and Chertoff could not be reached for comment on Sunday afternoon.

In the days before Katrina hit, Mayfield said, his staff also briefed
FEMA, which under the Department of Homeland Security, at FEMA's
headquarters in Washington, D.C., its Region 6 office in Dallas and
the Region 4 office in Atlanta about the potential effects of the
storm. He said all of those briefings were logged in the hurricane
center's records.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM