<http://www.indianexpress.com/>

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Front Page

Cartoons: Spontaneous rage? Look at drama, well-scripted

Minister Qureshi says he will repeat it all over India

AMAN SHARMA

Haji Yakoob QureshiMEERUT, FEBRUARY 20 Inspecting a new stage erected
outside his residence in Meerut's Gola Kuan, Uttar Pradesh Minister for Haj
and Minority Welfare, Haji Yakoob Qureshi, tells his aides he needs a
loudspeaker too. ''I have a sore throat now. Every hour, a massive
procession of people comes here to show their support. They say lakhs will
fill up the jails if a criminal case is lodged against me. We want the
Danish cartoonist's head-let the Denmark PM give him death sentence, we will
give Rs 51 crore to the PM,'' Qureshi says.

He is sitting back and watching how his statement on the cartoonist plays
out in UP politics. The Friday statement, which has received overwhelming
support from his party colleagues, was not a spontaneous outburst, it was
part of a well thought-out script. Qureshi had planned the rally and all
roads led to the Faiz-e-Azam college grounds on February 17 after the Friday
prayers got over. Carrying banners, black flags and scores of effigies,
nearly five lakh people, in over 100 demonstrations, converged there.

Deputy Inspector General of Police (Meerut Range) R K Vishwakarma says the
police's Intelligence Wing had ''prior information of the massive rally.''
The police say the demonstrators carried the flags and effigies first to the
mosques and then to the college ground. ''They all knew of the rally-only
the announcement was new for them,'' says an officer. But Qureshi, the
convener of the rally, had planned that too in advance. ''Large crowds of
people came to my residence last Wednesday saying the Muslim community needs
to do something to avenge the insult of Islam. Through consultations, it was
decided to announce the reward plus weighing in gold the person who executes
the cartoonist. Someone had to lead them, so I organised the rally,''
Qureshi told The Indian Express. ''It was no rush of blood. I was only the
voice of lakhs of Muslims who wanted this reward to happen. I am willing to
resign from my seat but will not retract the statement. Why should anyone
have an objection to the statement? Have I said something against any
Indian? No one except the BJP leaders are complaining-all of Meerut,
including the Hindus, is supporting me. Where have people been incited to
spread violence? Anyone having an objection is anti-Islam,'' Quershi says.

For the moment, he is keeping away from Lucknow. He was supposed to attend
the Vidhan Parishad today as a question had been asked in the House on the
money spent on Haj houses. But the House was told that Qureshi had sent a
letter saying that he was not well and was suffering from high blood
pressure. Qureshi, who was elected from Kharkhauda on a BSP ticket but
switched sides after the formation of the SP-led coalition government, is
enjoying all the attention. ''You can see the people converging here every
hour. I ignite a new movement when I repeat the announcement to these people
every hour,'' Quershi says.

His Samajvadi Party, which is hoping that the volatile cocktail of the
cartoon issue and the Iran vote will lead to a Muslim consolidation in its
favour in UP, has officially made the token statements but the tone has been
cautious. While Amar Singh has termed his statement as irresponsible, Chief
Minister and party boss Mulayam Singh Yadav said he only agreed with
''Qureshi's anger'' and was not in the know of the proposed announcement.

Qureshi, whose family runs a chain of slaughter houses in western UP, knows
he's on a safe wicket. ''I am not lone, the people are with me. I don't care
for political support in this matter; the stage from which the statement was
made was not a political one. I can sacrifice my ministership and even my
life for Islam,'' he says. He's planned the next step: A massive rally on
March 1 at Meerut's Ram Lila grounds. ''After that, I will leave for a
countrywide tour to publicise the reward announcement,'' he says.