http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/2006/11/06/38062/Armed+Forces+are+understaffed+and+overstretched.html

Armed Forces are understaffed and overstretched
PersonnelToday.com06 November 2006 10:21

The Armed Forces are understaffed, with rising numbers of personnel
quitting early, the government has been warned.

A National Audit Office report warned that coping with simultaneous
operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans had left the forces
5,170 below strength.

The report said the Armed Forces were 2.8% short of full strength --
total personnel is now 180,690.

The government agreed operating at this level meant "additional strains"
on staff, but denied forces were overstretched. Worst hit are medical
services, with reservists filling the 66% of vacant A&E and intensive
therapy nurses posts.

Rising numbers were quitting - in the past year 9,200 had left before
their period of engagement was up.

Defence minister Derek Twigg said the government "recognises that the
Armed Forces currently face a particularly high level of operational
commitment".

"We do understand the impact that frequent operational tours have on
serving personnel, their friends and families and we have recently
announced improvements in pay and benefits for those who are deployed on
operations," he said.

On the issue of retention, Twigg said: "Our focus is to improve
retention through polices that genuinely reflect the priorities of our
people and their families while optimising their operational effectiveness."

+++