No surprise here.  Iran was allied with al-Qaeda in 1995.

Bruce

http://www.memri.org/bin/opener_latest.cgi?ID=SD134706

November 7, 2006

No.1347

Sunni Islamists Websites in Iraq Claim Iranian Top-Secret Document Reveals
Iran/Al-Qaeda Contacts Months Before 9/11

In early October 2006, Sunni Islamist websites affiliated with the jihad
groups in Iraq posted what they claimed was a top-secret Iranian document.
The document, dated May 2001, indicates contacts between top Al-Qaeda
figures and the highest echelons of the Iranian intelligence apparatus,
which is part of the office of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and can
be viewed at the end of this document.
<http://www.memri.org/bin/opener_latest.cgi?ID=SD134706#_edn1> [1]

Evidence of Iran/Al-Qaeda cooperation had already been allegedly exposed in
2003 by the daily Al-Sharq Al-Awsat and by Voice of America in interviews
with an officer in Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Hamid Reza Zakeri, who
defected to the West.

The publication of the document at this time may be part of the mounting
tension between Sunni Islamists and Shi'ites in Iraq.

The following are excerpts from the document and the interviews:

1. Document from Khamenei's Intelligence Apparatus

The document posted on Sunni websites is signed by the head of Khamenei's
intelligence apparatus, Ali Akbar Nateq Nouri. It includes statements by
Khamenei regarding the importance of the Iranian and Muslim struggle against
the U.S. and Israel, which "constitutes the primary goal" of the Iranian
regime. It also mentions the need to tighten Iran's cooperation with "the
fighters of Al-Qaeda and Hizbullah," but warns that utmost caution must be
taken in maintaining ties with Al-Qaeda, since such ties, if revealed, could
have "irreversible negative consequences" for Iran. The document further
states that, on Khamenei's orders, all cooperation with Al-Qaeda will be
overseen by his office and should be carried out only through Hizbullah
Operations Officer 'Imad Mughniyah and Bin Laden's deputy Ayman Al-Zawahiri.

The following is a translation of the document:

"The Islamic Republic of Iran, the Intelligence Apparatus of the Supreme
Leader - Top Secret.