http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101111/world-news/baghdad-ch\
ristians-in-line-of-fire
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101111/world-news/baghdad-c\
hristians-in-line-of-fire>
Thursday, 11th         November 2010
Baghdad Christians in line of fire
AFP

Destroyed vehicles yesterday, in a         mainly Christian
neighbourhood of central Baghdad,         following a spate of bomb
attacks on Christian homes. Photo: Ali         Al Saadi/AFP

A string of anti-Christian         bombings has cost six more
lives in the wake of a Baghdad church bloodbath,         sowing panic in
Iraq's         2,000-year-old minority yesterday, many of whom now
want to         flee.

"Since Tuesday evening, there have         been 13 bombs and
two mortar attacks on homes and shops of Christians in which a
total of six         people were killed and 33 injured," a defence
ministry official         said. "A church         was also
damaged."

The attacks come less than two         weeks after 44         Christian
worshippers, two priests and seven security personnel         died in
the         seizure of the Baghdad         church by Islamist gunmen and
the ensuing shootout when it was         stormed by         troops.

On November 3, Al-Qaeda claimed         responsibility for the
hostage-taking at the capital's Syrian Catholic cathedral and
warned it would         step up attacks on Christians.

The UN Security Council said it         was "appalled by, and
condemned in the strongest terms, the recent spate of terrorist
attacks in Iraq, including         today's."

The campaign of violence against         Christians
"potentially poses a threat to diversity in the Middle East,
which was one of the fundamental bedrocks of stability,"
said British ambassador Mark Lyall Grant, reading the council
statement.

French ambassador Gerard Araud         said Al-Qaeda's bomb
and shooting attacks were part of "a deliberate will to destroy
the Christian         community."

As Christians converged on their         churches yesterday to
seek counsel from their religious leaders, the capital's Syrian
Catholic         archbishop made an emotional appeal for western
countries to         come to their         rescue.

"It would be criminal on the part         of the international
community not to take care of the security of the Christians,"
Athanase Matti         Shaba Matoka said inside the church targeted on
October 31 where         he tried to         console his flock.

"Everybody is scared," he said.         "People are asking
who         is going to protect them, how are they going to stay on in
Iraq.         We are         trying to encourage them to stay
patient."

Vatican secretary of state Tarcisio         Bertone described the latest
attacks as         "very painful."

The protection of Iraqi Christians         is an issue that
"we hope... will be taken into serious consideration" by the
Baghdad government, Italian news agencies         quoted him as saying.

The scarred Syrian Catholic         cathedral in the central
district of Karrada has become a focus of the fears of Christian
families.

"For the past two years now, my         wife has been trying
to persuade me to leave the country but I didn't agree," said
42-year-old         labourer Raed Wissam from the Dora district of south
Baghdad.

"Today, I feel sure she's right         because I don't want
to feel guilty if something bad happens to one of my children."

Mr Wissam said he was woken up at         6 a.m. by an
explosion. "I ran up to the roof to see what was going on and I
heard three         more blasts, with three Christian homes targeted. My
two         children wept."

Emmanuel Karim, a 27-year-old IT         worker, was about to         go
to work from his home in Camp Sara, central Baghdad,         when a bomb
exploded. The apparent target was the car of his         uncle, who was
among those killed on October 31.

"Fifteen minutes later, a second         bomb exploded,
killing a neighbour who was trying to put out the fire in the
car... He was a Muslim.         He was my friend," said Mr Karim,
fighting back the tears.

He said the faithful were         gathering at churches to try
to join the Christian exodus which has been picking up pace
since the 2003         invasion of now violence-plagued Iraq, where
their community's         roots         date back two millenia.

Monsignor Pius Kasha, also of the         church in the
hostage-taking at the end of last month, said a four-month-old
baby was among         three people wounded in bombings of Christian
homes in Baghdad's         Mansur district late on Tuesday.

<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101111/world-news/baghdad-c\
hristians-in-line-of-fire>

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.