http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/Eulogizing+life+secrets/3846302\
/story.html#ixzz15ejSjXLA
<http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/Eulogizing+life+secrets/384630\
2/story.html#ixzz15ejSjXLA>       Eulogizing a life of         secrets
Tyler Anderson,         National Post

Maureen         Hooper, the         wife of former Canadian spy Jack
Hooper, pays her last respects         at his funeral         in Toronto
on         Wednesday.

Comments <http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/#Comments>

Stewart           Bell, National Post ยท Wednesday, Nov.           17,
2010

When members of         Canada's         intelligence community gathered
at a Toronto         cemetery on Wednesday to pay their respects to
veteran         counterterrorist Jack         Hooper, a lot was left
unsaid.

At the Canadian         Security Intelligence         Service, where he
was Deputy Director of Operations, Mr. Hooper         took part in
all the country's major counterterrorism investigations, from
Air India to the Toronto 18.

But how do you         eulogize a life of secrets?         From time to
time, Mr. Hooper's name surfaced at public         inquiries but much of
what he did during his lengthy public service will never be
known outside         intelligence circles.

"Unfortunately we         can only         communicate part of the story
but that's the nature of our work         and we accept         it,"
said Charles Bisson, also a former CSIS Deputy Director of
Operations. "Doing our work is our own gratitude; we're not
expecting         publicity or any type of gratitude. That's the work we
do and we         can't speak         about many things."

At the packed         service at Mount Pleasant         cemetery, one
eulogist described how, when CSIS was planning to         send people to
Afghanistan, Mr. Hooper went first to check things out. A photo
of Mr. Hooper         holding a military assault rifle was included in
the memorial's         slide show.

Friends and         associates remembered him as         an influential
intelligence officer who helped guide CSIS         through the turbulent
years after 9/11, and on whose watch al-Qaeda and its followers
never succeeded         in attacking Canada.

"No one worked         longer hours nor         digged down deeper into
a case," said Charles Coghlin, a former         CSIS         colleague
and one of several current and former senior         intelligence
officials         in attendance. "I am absolutely certain that Canadians
are more         secure         because he was one of us."

Mr. Hooper collapsed         and died last Friday.         He was 57. He
left CSIS in 2007. Since then he had lived in         Peachland, B.C.,
with his wife Maureen, worked for Public Mobile and volunteered
at True Patriot         Love, a foundation that helps military families.

Frank and passionate         about         counter-terrorism, he was the
public face of CSIS for a time. At         the Air India
inquiry, he testified about the agency's controversial decision
to destroy         surveillance tapes of the suspects, and a blunt memo
he wrote         was released at         the inquiry into the Maher Arar
affair.

His colleagues said         that while he has been         caricatured
as a "maverick spy," that is off the mark; while he         was
colourful and opinionated, he was a meticulous stickler for
detail in a field         where mistakes can cost lives.

"He was always very         thorough in his         work and checked
everything he handled with a fine tooth comb,"         said a
former CSIS colleague, Stewart Sweet. Mr. Hooper constantly
reminded those         around him "that counter-terrorism and
counter-intelligence are         24-hours-a-day occupations, that there
can never really be any         total         down-time," he said.

Luc Portelance, who         worked with Mr. Hooper         at CSIS and
is now president of the Canada Border Services         Agency, described
him as "a very intelligent individual, very rigorous ... his
attention to         detail was quite significant. He was a guy I had a
lot of         respect for in terms         of his approach, his rigour,
his commitment."

William John "Jack"         Hooper began         his career in the RCMP
in 1974. Posted to Burnaby, B.C., he         joined the RCMP
security service in 1981 and was assigned to various
counterintelligence and         counter-terrorism desks.

In 1984, he was         among those who left the         RCMP to join
the new civilian intelligence service, CSIS. A year         later, Sikh
extremists from B.C. bombed Air India Flight 182, killing 329
people, most of         them Canadians. Preventing another such disaster
became his         guiding philosophy.

He rose through the         ranks from counter-terrorism         analyst
to manager of the Threat Assessment Program, section         chief
responsible         for terrorist threats from the Middle East, and
Deputy Director         General in         charge of counter-terrorism
investigations.

When terrorists         attacked the United States         on Sept. 11,
2001, he was the Director General of the Toronto         region and
helped         organize Canada's response to al-Qaeda's campaign of mass
casualty anti-Western         attacks.

Among the tricky         cases the Toronto office         dealt with at
the time was that of Mohamed Jabarah, a young         Canadian who had
left his home in St. Catharines to join al-Qaeda and, after
training, was sent         to Southeast Asia to bomb U.S. embassies.

CSIS brought Jabarah         back to Ontario,         convinced him to
confess and helped him surrender to the FBI,         but the Security
Intelligence Review Committee later criticized the service for
helping hand a         Canadian over to U.S. authorities.

Also during that         period, CSIS came under         scrutiny for
sharing information that could lead to the torture         of terror
suspects overseas. Friends and associates said Mr. Hooper had to
make difficult         decisions in difficult times, and under
tremendous pressure. "He         did what         he thought was right
and I think people supported him," said         former CSIS
official Barry Denofsky.

Mr. Hooper was named         Assistant Director of         Operations in
2002, and Deputy Director of Operations in 2005, a         year when the
focus was on Operation Claymore, the investigation into a group
of radicalized         Canadian Muslims who were planning bombings in
Canada.

Police arrested the         so-called Toronto 18         in June, 2006.
The ringleaders have since pleaded guilty to         conspiring to
commit terrorist attacks, including twin truck bombings in
downtown Toronto. One         of the targets was the CSIS building. "He
led us through one of         the most         challenging periods in
our history," Al Jones, the CSIS         Assistant         Director,
said in his eulogy.

sb...@nationalpost.com <mailto:sb...@nationalpost.com> ---------

IN HIS OWN WORDS

"We do a good job of         containing the         threats we know
about; we stay up at night worrying about the         threats that we
do not know about. We used to work on a ratio of 10 to 1, that
is, for every one         we knew about there were probably 10 that we
did not. We strove         to identify         these unknowns. I worry
that the ratio has increased. I think         there may be more
unknowns now than ever."

-- Jack Hooper,         testimony to the Standing         Senate
Committee on National Security and Defence, 2006.

<http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/Eulogizing+life+secrets/384630\
2/story.html#ixzz15ejSjXLA>

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.