http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes
<http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=40074> &id=40074

Hardening The Target Part II: Becoming The Force To Be Reckoned With

by  <http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Ernest+Emerson>
Ernest Emerson
<http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Ernest+Emerson>  (more by
this author)

Posted 11/23/2010 ET

http://www.humanevents.com/images/EmersonPic2_KARL%20ADD%20TO%20ERNEST%20EME
RSON%20ARTICLE.JPGI was working at one time with the Federal Air Marshals
and was asked to give a training evaluation and proposal to them.  The cadre
that I was working with had recently completed a training evolution with a
well known tactical instruction group that sold “state of the art reality
based training,” as their premise.  The Marshals described their experience
with the group and they were duly impressed with the instruction.  I
listened patiently and then simply asked, “How much time did you spend
punching the heavy bag while sitting in a chair?” None.  I then followed
with “How much time did you spend fighting an attacker out of a seated
position?  How much time did you spend fighting 2, 3 or 4 guys off from a
seated position?  Did you spend any time trying to fight with a blanket
thrown over your head?”  The reply was, “But we learned a lot of good
takedowns, control holds and wrist locks.”

“For Chrissakes,” I said, “if you’re ID’ed on the plane at 33,000 feet and
attacked, they’re going to kill you and take your gun.  That’s their only
objective.  You’re not going to be fighting to “subdue” them.  You’re going
to be fighting for your life and it’s not going to be a fair fight.”  And
their recent “reality” based training course was specifically requested to
equip them to defend against a physical attack on the Air Marshals by
terrorist hijackers.  Now, mind you, I was not and am not saying that their
previous training was not good.  You still need to have those skills in your
bag, but their training could have been better… much better.  I told them,
“I’m going to teach you how to kill those bastards and save that plane.”
Without exception, every one of the Marshals was 100% in agreement with
that, and it was not only what they wanted but what they really needed in
their situation.  Unfortunately and needless to say, as my proposal climbed
the chain of command it eventually landed in front of a suit who stated
that, “This is way too brutal, this would never read well if you actually
had to do it.” What!?!?  How is it going to read when a plane with 236
passengers and crew slams into a building and kills 2000 innocent people?

Sorry, I got a little off track, but I think I’ve made my point.  You might
think you’re doing reality based training, but there may be huge gaps in it
that you could easily plug.

“All that is advantageous to the enemy is disadvantageous to you, and all
that is useful to you damages the enemy.” – Vegietius, 4th Century

I’m going to put this into terms more relatable to most of us hoping that it
will spark your creativity in devising some “scenario based reality training
of your own.  I’m going to use boxing as a framework for this example for
several reasons.  A lot of what I teach is based off boxing.  I used to box.
I like boxing.  Most people already know how to punch.  And there are few
things on this Earth more effective than a good jab, cross combination.  Of
course that’s just my opinion, but it’s saved my ass more than once.

So, in terms of boxing your training will consist of learning all of the
punches; the jab, the cross, the hook, the uppercut and all the variations
of those basic strikes.  You will learn defenses against those strikes, an
area where boxing excels, because you’re not really blocking anything you’re
just putting things in the way, which is so much more effective than trying
to block against specific strikes, taught by so many.  When I see that, I
always wondered, “How can I react faster than you can act?”  I always tell
people, “it’s like throwing darts at mosquitoes.  Ain’t gonna happen.”

Anyway, then you learn the footwork and body movements of boxing.  Then you
learn how to apply your punches in combination against the heavy bag and
develop power and balance.  You work the speed bag, focus mitts, you jump
rope and all of the various training exercises.  And finally you get to
spar.  That’s where it all comes together.  You hope.  So now after several
months of training you’ve got all of the skills of boxing under your belt.
And you could probably blow right through most bad guys on the street.  But
you’re still trained as a boxer to fight other boxers.  That is, someone
squared off in front of you, attacking you with basically the same skills
that you possess.

Let’s do some reality boxing now.  Remember my Mantra, “You never want to
run into something for the first time in combat?”  Is it possible that
someone might attack you while you are sitting down?  You better learn to
punch the heavy bag from a chair - just like the Air Marshals.

Could someone attack you while you are lying down?  You better practice
punching from both the mounted position (on top) and form the bottom up
also.  Could you be attacked in the dark?  Try working the heavy bag while
blind folded.  Could you ever be forced to fight with only one arm?  Put one
hand in your waist band and learn to punch hard - use both sides.  Could you
be attacked in a confined area, a bathroom stall, between parked cars?
Could you be attacked where there are things all over the floor?

If you’ve got training partners you can get even more creative with multiple
attacks, surprise attacks, attacks from behind, in a car, backed into a
corner and any number of various scenarios.

You can introduce weapons, for example, fighting your way of a surprise
weapons attack.  A sock with a couple of whiffle balls stuffed into it works
really well and it stings like hell.  It’s very important to bring pain into
the training as this really ups the stress level.  Always wear eye
protection.

I’ve given you just a few examples of how to start introducing some reality
training into a basic boxing framework and just to give you some samples of
how you can expand a conventional program into something more reflective of
attack based fighting responses.

Now mind you, you don’t have to practice these skills at the expense or
exclusion of your other/current training, you just have to add a few of them
in time to time.  You’re not learning new skills.  Hell a punch is just a
punch.  What you’re doing is just creating a different environment in which
you must use those skills, sometimes at a disadvantage to you.  Remember,
the first time I want to get attacked between two parked cars isn’t when a
bad guy is really trying to kill me.  I want it to have been two dozen times
before in training.

We haven’t even touched kicking, grappling or ground fighting skills in
regard to this subject, but I think you can see that any basic skill set you
possess can be enhanced to reflect a more reality based, “Top Gun” approach.
“You just gotta do it.”

So, what if you are someone who can not participate in active physical
training for whatever reason.  What can you do?  Remember how real a dream
feels?  Do you have an imagination?

A few years ago a psychology professor devised a very interesting
experiential experiment.  He explained to the class that they were going to
learn how to shoot free throws.  He then taught them the basic skills and
techniques needed to shoot correctly.  At that point, he split the class in
half.  Half A was to come to the gym and practice shooting free throws for
an hour a day, 5 days a week.  The other half B, was to spend only ½ hour on
Monday at the gym shooting free throws.  The rest of the week group B was to
visualize, themselves shooting free throws, doing so only in their
imaginations while physically pretending to shoot.  At the end of 8 weeks
there was a free throw shoot off.  The results?  They were even.  How could
that be?  We’re talking about a difference of 40 hours of practice time for
group A vs. 4 hours of practice time for group B.  Or were we?  While group
A practiced shooting, sometimes too high, too short, off to the left, off to
the right, not enough arc, only sometimes sinking one, guess what group B
was doing?  When they were imagining their shots, every shot was pure net, a
swish, perfect form, a perfect free throw every time.

Eventually a government agency got wind of this experience and the question
was asked, I wonder if this could apply to shooting skills, and firearms
training.  Having only so much time to run recruits through training, if you
could get the same results by cutting range time, you could teach more
valuable field craft to them.  So the experiment was repeated.  And once
again it worked.  Think about it, if you imagine yourself shooting, where
does every shot hit?  Right – dead center.  These recruits, just like the
free throwers were getting experiential results by merely creating the
process and experience in their mind.

Let’s look at this; A few years ago a California Highway Patrol officer told
me of this experience.  Another officer radioed in that he was making a stop
on a highway in Northern California.  He did not know that he was stopping a
wanted felon.  When the officer exited his unit, the bad guy wheeled out of
his car with a nickel plated .357 magnum and fired off a round striking the
officer directly in the belly.  The officer went down and the bad guy took
off.  The officer crawled to his car and radioed “I’m shot, I’m shot” and
fell back onto the pavement.  The officer telling me the story arrived on
scene about 5 minutes after the call.  The downed officer was dying right in
front of him and going into deep shock.  Officer #2 tore open the downed
officers clothes looking for a way to stop the bleeding.  Funny thing
though, there was no blood.  He turned him over looking for an exit or entry
bound and couldn’t find one.  The officer in his hands was slipping away.
There was no wound.  The bullet had struck his belt, traveled around his
side and out into the weeds.  When the ambulance arrived they told officer
#2 that 5 more minutes and the first officer would have been a goner.  As
you know, shock will kill you dead.  So what is there to be learned from
this?  When the officer was shot, his thoughts were, “I’m shot.  I’m dying.”
The most important point here and the reason that I am talking about this
is, “If the mind truly believes something, the body follows suit.  In effect
the officer was willing himself to die and the body was following suit,
shutting down the system.

Alright back to my original question of , “what can you do if you can’t
train?”  You can use creative visualization to train.  You can imagine the
attack scenarios.  But this has to be a vivid, HD quality movie that you
watch.  Imagine the sounds, the smells, the details of the attacker and the
attack.  Create your response, your vicious, ferocious response and your
survival.  The more real you make this waking dream the more “experience”
you garner from the exercise.  And you can let your imagination run wild.  I
hope that you realize that this also is as valuable as a training aid to
anyone who is actively training in any form of combat, not just for those
who are unable to train.  There are certainly other aspects that go into the
process of hardening the target including physical fitness, research and
education.  But, remember the CHP Officer.  If you can imagine yourself
dying, you can imagine an attack, your response, your survival and your
experience.  The use of creative visualization is not the real thing, but it
can be the next best thing and in the game of life and death I will stack
the deck with everything I can in my favor and so should you.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.