Taliban Leader Vows to Hit U.S. Targets Outside Pakistan

by IPT News  .  Jun 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2947/taliban-leader-vows-to-hit-us-targ
ets-outside>
http://www.investigativeproject.org/2947/taliban-leader-vows-to-hit-us-targe
ts-outside

Taliban Leader Vows to Hit U.S. Targets Outside Pakistan

by IPT News  .  Jun 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

http://www.investigativeproject.org/2947/taliban-leader-vows-to-hit-us-targe
ts-outside

A top Taliban commander
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/06/us-pakistan-taliban-idUSTRE755314
20110606> pledged that his group will avenge the death of Osama bin Laden by
attacking U.S. targets outside of Pakistan.

"Our war against America is continuing inside and outside of Pakistan," said
Taliban commander Omar Khalid Khorasani in a video sent to Reuters. "When we
launch attacks, it will prove that we can hit American targets outside
Pakistan."

Since bin Laden was killed in a Pakistani garrison city by a team of U.S.
Navy SEALs in early May, attacks by the al-Qaida linked Tehrik-e-Taliban
Pakistan (TTP), more commonly known as the Pakistani Taliban, has
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2901/taliban-revenge-attacks-mostly-tar
get-pakistanis> mostly targeted Pakistani security forces - including a
Peshawar police station, a Karachi naval base and a paramilitary academy.

The Taliban did
<http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=6139&Cat=13&dt=5/21/201
1> attack several American consular vehicles on a Peshawar road May 20th. A
bomb planted in a roadside car hit only one of those vehicles, injuring two
consulate officials.

"These attacks were just a part of our revenge. God willing, the world will
see how we avenge Osama bin Laden's martyrdom," said Khorasani. "We have
networks in several countries outside Pakistan," he said.

It would not be the first time it has attacked American targets abroad.

The group claimed responsibility for the attempted bombing of Times Square
in May 2010. According to the U.S. government, failed bomber Faisal Shahzad
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1383.pdf> received
explosives training from the TTP in December 2009. Shahzad
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1383.pdf> appeared
in a TTP video during which he "discussed his plan to attack the United
States and encouraged other Muslims to follow his example."

The TTP also
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1383.pdf> gave
Shahzad $12,000 to help finance the attack.

Similarly, the TTP was
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/blog/2010/09/pakistan-taliban-leader-ch
arged-in-cia-attack> implicated in a 2009 suicide bomb attack which killed
seven CIA employees in Afghanistan. In response to that attack, the U.S.
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/blog/2010/09/pakistan-taliban-leader-ch
arged-in-cia-attack> designated the TTP as a terrorist group on Sept. 2,
2010

Read more at:
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2947/taliban-leader-vows-to-hit-us-targ
ets-outside>
http://www.investigativeproject.org/2947/taliban-leader-vows-to-hit-us-targe
ts-outside

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.