Mackenzie Institute Commentary 1107

PO Box 338, Adelaide Station           Toronto, Ontario  M5C-2J4
Tel: (416)-686-4063

E-Mail:  instit...@mackenzieinstitute.com    Web:  mackenzieinstitute.com

Leave Israel Alone

By John Thompson

The past two months have not been good for Israel.  President Obama tried to
strong-arm Prime Minister Netanyahu into a new peace plan, the Syrians tried
to divert attention from their regime's brutal crackdown by paying
unemployed farmers to rush the Border Fence and another 'Humanitarian
Convoy' is assembling.   Meanwhile, the UN is planning a 'Durban III'
legitimized hate-fest and protests against something called 'Israeli
Apartheid' are coming fast and furious.

In the past decade I have been in the Middle East several times, starting in
2004 with a trip to Israel and the West Bank.  I've talked with all manner
of Israelis and Palestinians, Egyptians, Syrians, Jordanians and Lebanese in
the last decade and I've learned a few simple home truths.  Here they are:

Hey, Wannabe Statesmen!  Stop Fishing for a @%$&* Peace Prize!

I don't drive anymore and don't speak Arabic and, in 2004, it took a bit of
work to find somebody who wasn't a shill for the Palestinian Authority.
Ahmad lived in Arab East Jerusalem and, even in that last year of the Second
Intifada he had the clearances to drive both inside Israel and throughout
the Western Bank.

I had a number of interviews to conduct but also wanted to get the real
Palestinian word on the street; and Ahmad made it possible.  He translated
graffiti, let me talk to shop-keepers and waiters and explained the ins and
outs of living in Jericho, Hebron and Ramallah.  My questions and interests
were educating him about some things he hadn't thought much about either; it
was an educational time for both of us.

At length, as he drove me off to Tel Aviv, he asked me if I thought there
could ever be peace between the Palestinians and the Jews.  I said "Maybe,
but I think the fence will be necessary first."  The fence, by the way was
on the edge of his property.  He thought for a second then exploded:  "Next
time, next time we talk peace with the Jews, we just need one negotiator!
just one!  Somebody we both respect!  No more of all these diplomats and
others all wanting to interfere!"  Then he confided - "We have a saying in
Arabic; 'Too many cooks spoil the meal'."  I told him of the remarkably
similar English expression.

There was another rather interesting statement from a Cadi - a religious
judge - hiding out from the Palestinian authority because of his anti-Arafat
(and anti-Hamas) views.  He also had scathing things to say about people
meddling in Israeli-Palestinian dealings and I remember his exact quote:
"From 1967 to 1994, Arafat wasn't a part of our lives.  He was off trying to
take over Jordan, then causing a civil war in Lebanon, and then running an
international terrorist group.  In the meantime, tens of thousands of us
worked for good money inside Israel, and now nobody does.  I could drive
from Rafah to Jenin and nobody would stop me.  Now there are 175
checkpoints.  We were learning democracy from the ground up in our towns and
in the Universities the Israelis built with us and now that's all ended.
And we weren't even asked if we wanted Arafat back. oh sure, there was a
'consultative mechanism' tacked on to the Oslo Agreement, but that was like
putting lipstick on a pig."

A lot of middle aged Palestinians and Israelis remembered that things could
have been different and they regretted the lost opportunities.  The Israelis
and Palestinians have to work out their own entente, not have one imposed on
them.  There was a widespread resentment about all the meddling and
interference by external people.

Jerusalem belongs to Israel

Israeli appearances can be deceiving.  Israeli soldiers don't look
impressive with their unshaven faces and rumpled uniforms but then you look
at the equipment, and it is invariably in good order.  The Israelis don't
mark their war-dead and battlefields with marble monuments.  It's not their
style.  But don't think for a moment they do not remember the price they
paid in 1948.

Jerusalem was utterly unimportant to Islam until somebody else wanted it
back.  "Jerusalem" is not mentioned once in the Quran but it is mentioned
881 times in the Old Testament and 144 times in the New Testament.   The Al
Aqsa Mosque is, like so many hundreds of other mosques, not there because
the site was important to Islam but because it was important to somebody
else - it is perched on the site of the Old Temple.  Mosques were in a
cultural sense like garrison forts were in a military one - "We own this
now" is the statement behind the Al Aqsa Mosque.

The original UN mandate division in 1948 envisioned Jerusalem as an
international city along the lines of Shanghai or Danzig between the World
Wars.  When the fighting erupted, West Jerusalem stayed in Jewish hands, but
the Old City was cut off by the Arabs and the Orthodox community inside was
besieged.  The infant state of Israel made determined attempts to lift the
siege and retain the Old City.

The Latrun Police Fort is just off the highway running from Tel Aviv to
Jerusalem, just before it enters the long mountain gorge.   The Israelis
suffered thousands of casualties trying to wrestle it from the Jordanian
Arab Legion (the toughest of all their enemies that year) and they failed.
The fort remained in Jordanian hands until 1967.

Shot holes and shrapnel scars on the walls of Latrun are preserved even the
though the building is still much in use today as the home of the Israeli
Armoured Museum.  Likewise, up the mountain highway to Jerusalem, the wrecks
of the vehicles destroyed in the convoys that attempted to get supplies up
to the city, are still there - the metal parts carefully coated in
preservative paint.  In the Old City, the bullet holes from 1967 around the
gate where the Israeli paratroopers stormed in are also still there.

Jerusalem is a Jewish city.  It is important for that reason to Christianity
as well, but in the 13 Centuries of Islamic rule, it was never considered it
nearly as important as Damascus or Cairo - the true centres of the Arab
World.

The 'Anti-Zionism' Bit isn't fooling anyone

Forget the 'Anti-Zionism' bit or the 'Israeli Apartheid' bit.  I'm not even
Jewish (being Catholic, Scots and Irish), and even I can recognize the
anti-Israeli protests as old fashioned 'Jew-bashing.'

I can recognize the Islamic dislike of Israel no matter how disingenuous
they act; but it took some reading and thinking to figure out what the
self-described 'progressives' are up to and it's quite simple.

More than anyone else, the Jews (and arising out of them Christianity)
established the ethics and legalism of the Modern World.  So, inevitably,
anyone who is hoping to instigate some sort of 'transformation' or  to
create a 'new order,' starts picking on the Jews first.  The Nazis and
Bolsheviks weren't alone in this.  Anybody who wants to do this - even at an
unconscious level - begins with the Jews first and at some point they will
be coming after me.  So my self-defence begins with the defence of the Jews.

No matter how self-righteous the 'Anti-Israeli Apartheid' crowd may be
themselves,  one may note that they avoid going after real abusers of human
rights; so the act is an act and it is not hard to smell a rat.

The 'Right of Return' Won't Fly

There were no 'Palestinian' Arabs until it was necessary to invent them;
there were just Arabs in the constant churning motion described by T.E.
Lawrence in his Seven Pillars of Wisdom.  In the same way, there were no
Syrians or Iraqis until the 20th Century.  The Jews, by contrast, are an
ancient people with a history, language and culture going back over 3,000
years.  Other Middle Eastern peoples like the Copts and other Christian
communities have long predated Islam.

When Israel was created, eight Arab armies moved in to conquer the new
Jewish state.  The Israelis fought them all off and when they retreated so
did between 650,000 and 750,000 Arabs, some evicted and some who moved
voluntarily.  About 156,000 Arabs stayed behind and another infusion of Arab
citizens of Israel came in 1967 when many accepted the offer of Israeli
citizenship.  At any rate, about 20% of Israel's citizens are Arabs (about
80% Sunni, 10% Christian and 10% Druze).

Israel cannot be expected to commit demographic suicide by allowing
4,100,000 Palestinian Arabs to come back to the homes their grandfathers
might have left back in 1948.  Nor, despite what some of them say
publically, are any of their third or fourth cousins in Israel eager to see
them.  "I've got 600 Hectares to my farm; why would I want four or five sets
of cousins there?"  Why indeed?

Sitting on the beach at Herzliya, it was hard to look at the bronzed
lithesome girls in bikinis and tell the Jews apart from the Arabs.  An
elderly granny waddling along behind some girls, like an old sheepdog
escorting a herd of lambs, was the only clue.  and a revelation that 63
years under Israeli rule has made some startling changes in the Arabs living
there.

To be truly fair, one should remember that between 800,000 and 850,000 Jews
also had to leave their homes throughout the Muslim world after the creation
of Israel - often carrying less than the Palestinian Arabs did.  The account
on this matter should have been closed long ago.  Moreover, one doesn't
notice Germans or Hungarians demanding the right of return to family homes
from the 1940s that were lost to them in the former Yugoslavia or Hungary or
Poland. or Taiwanese demanding the family farm in Szechuan or Honan be
returned to them.  Why is the Palestinian Arab case so exceptional?

A Return to the 1967 Border?

One could paraphrase Netanyahu's response about this to President Obama
quite neatly like this:  "Get real".  It might also be amusing for Israelis
to start asking the US President when will most of the US Southwest be
handed back to Mexico or when will  Poland will be restored to its 1939
borders.  For that matter, when will most of the Arab Middle East be
returned to Turkish rule?

For that matter, while Israel returned the Sinai to Egyptian control, Syria
is another matter.  One cannot stand on the edge of the Golan Heights, look
down into the Sea of Galilee and ever see a day when Syrian machineguns and
artillery spotters reside there again, taking pot shots at Israelis whenever
they felt like it.  Nor do the Israelis want a narrow tenuous mountain
highway to be their sole link to Jerusalem.  Peace with the Palestinians and
the neighbours has to rest on a respect for Israel's safety.

The Final Advice

Here is a magic solution to the Palestinian-Israeli problem:  Everybody else
stay out.   Leave them all alone and let them work things out themselves.
Sounds radical?  No more than some of the other dumb ideas floating around,
and it just might even work.

The Mackenzie Institute

The Institute was formed in 1986 to provide research and comment on such
diverse subjects as terrorism, organized crime, political extremism,
propaganda, conflict and other such matters. It does not shy away from
controversy.

The Institute holds to the proposition that our democratic institutions need
to be defended and enhanced, and works to do what it can to protect the
stability of Canadian society.

Those who support its purposes are invited to become Friends of the
Institute, and those who contribute $60 (or more) to it, receive its
publications for the next twelve months.

The Mackenzie Institute
PO Box 338, Adelaide Station
Toronto, Ontario
M5C-2J4
Tel: 416-686-4063.
email:  <mailto:instit...@mackenzieinstitute.com>
instit...@mackenzieinstitute.com
www.mackenzieinstitute.com

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.