Greetings. We used Open Space in a similar situation two years ago in the city
of Welland, Ontario, Canada with an event titled Legacy 2000.
It was the specific result of a handful of individuals who felt there
needed to be more done to address the "big picture" of the community and its
leadership (or lack of??). It was found that planning efforts too often focused
on one "silo" or sector, rather than addressing the assets and unmet needs of
the entire community. Anyway, through the media, invitations were extended to
the entire community of 50,000. Flyers were also mailed to all businesses and
non profit organizations. Over 100 people attended the first meeting,
representing a broad spectrum of government, business, and community groups as
well as others who came simply as interested individuals. We used an open space
format around the theme "Legacy 2000 - issues and opportunities for making
Welland a better place to live, work, and play".  The advisory committee didn't
believe anyone would come for more than half a day so the event was hosted in
one morning. They served breakfast and managed 30 meetings on 30 different
topics before noon with a powerful closing circle. It was amazing...and was the
beginning of some very exciting initiatives...a youth drop in centre, community
gardens, trail clean ups, rehabilitating vacant lands, attracting new
businesses, touring circuits, community music events etc. To keep the momentum
moving, community meetings are still being held one evening a month. The
ongoing theme is "Building a stronger, healthier and more vibrant Welland...one
project at a time". As you suggest, the elected and government officials were
originally somewhat cynical. They are now much more supportive. In fact, the
mayor was at the first meeting and hasn't missed one since. The open space
being provided is now being seen as a powerful vehicle for change. More
importantly, it has generated community spirit -  something that had been
sorely lacking in a town hard hit but factory shut downs. While much of the
work we do with OS takes place in a business or organization setting, it truly
does work in a broader based community setting. My family and I were so
impressed with what we heard at the first Legacy meetin
potential, that  we ourselves have moved our residence and business to Welland!

______________________________________
Brenda Herchmer
Manager, Niagara Centre for Community Leadership
"a one stop resource center for the voluntary sector because community matters"
Niagara College
300 Woodlawn Road, Box 1005
Welland, ON L3B 5S2
(905) 735-2211 ext 7775
(905) 736-6006 (fax)

>>> Viv McWaters <v...@thereef.com.au> 09/24 8:30 PM >>>
Hello all

I think I'm onto something very exciting but I need the wisdom of this
group to help me, please.

I was recently asked to come up with a proposal for a community leadership
progream in a semi-rural area of Australia. The program started as
Leadership - but has evolved into something like 'building social
capacity'. The purpose of the program is to develop in the community the
skills and abilities to self-manage and lead community organisations - such
as play groups, environmental action groups, parents associations etc etc.
This is in response to a lot of community burn-out, lack of access to
training etc. A key element of the program (which incidently will run for
12 months) is a project that participants implement in their own community,
using and building on the skills they have learnt.

I have proposed that OS underpin the program. Instead of a committee
identifying the content of the program we have a one-day community OS where
the partiocipants themselves explore what they need to build capacity in
the community - and from that, hopefully, will emerge a corte group of
people willing to take this further (using OS as a basis but also
incorporating some specific skills training where its been identified as
impirtant).

I've said my role would be as a coach/mentor - opening spaces where
appropriate and supporting the participants with specifics, support etc.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I'd love to hear your insights.
I've also heard that the sponsor (a Local Govt) thinks this approach
wouldn't work in their community. I believe it will work, but do you have
any suggestions on how I could approach their concerns. I have a meeting
with the sponsor later this week to further discuss the proposal.

Cheers

Viv McWaters

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665, Torquay 3228
Victoria Australia
Ph/Fax: 61 3 5278 3864

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think
what nobody yet has thought about that which everyone sees." Schopenhauer

2.  Sign in and Proceed