Jo and Kerry --

I just returned from Indonesia where two others and I trained 40
Indonesian facilitators in Future Search methodology with the
intention of leaving them with the skill to carry on the work in 41
districts in Indonesia.  This work was done on behalf of UNICEF.

Two of the questions that came up for us:

1.  We got similar results as you, Jo, as far as commitment to
action.  We are wondering how to best support this without a
continued relationship to the sponsor and, in particular, without
assurances that (in our case) UNICEF will overcome its tendency for
top down decisionmaking and ignore or abandon the action teams.  Do
you have any agreements with the Red Cross?  Did you present the
participants with any "givens" as far as expectations about continued
support.  I know that there has been much discussion in the OS
community about whether or not to put forth a list of "givens"
(limitations on the influence of the group that can be realistically
expected) to the participants so they will not have illusions about
where their efforts stand.  We were concerned, because FS (as OS) is
a model with the intent of empowering the participants to
self-initiated action.  The relationship to the sponsor is critical
in that if the participants are abandoned or ignored, it can be a
very disillusioning and disempowering experience (of which most
people have already had too many).  On another listserv, someone
mentioned that he thought these kind of self-empowering methodologies
should not be used in communities unless it is clear that the people
there have the resources and support to really accomplish the goals
they set out to accomplish.  It's important not to disempower people
by assuming they won't be able to "muddle through" (as Harrison puts
it) but it is also important not to set people up with unrealistic
expectations.

2.  How will you handle followup from a distance? Will you stay in
touch with these trainees?  How?  We know, for instance, that our
facilitators will have to work with groups that don't all speak the
same language or don't read or write any language.  In these cases
they will have to adapt the process to meet these needs.  The
advantage you have with Open space, is that it is a simpler
methodology to facilitate than Future Search and wouldn't need as
much adaptation in the cases I mentioned.  Even so, there are certain
fundamental principles that need to stay intact for it to be most
effective.  Like the issue of givens, for instance.

It is fascinating to see these process models move into different
social and cultural contexts.

Kenoli

Dear Jo Toepfer

You may have a first there but check with Elwin just to be sure.  I
am opening space in Yerevan, Armenia on 25 and 26 September,
hopefully leaving 10 people with enough training to be
self-sustaining.

Keep up the pioneering work!

Best regards

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures
Edinburgh
Scotland

www.openfutures.com

Visit:

Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,
Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: ken...@igc.org (or click on: mailto://ken...@igc.org)