Oh dear..... trying to explain the mediation process is a lot like
trying to explain the OST process..... the words never seem to quite
convey the experience..... but since you asked, Romy, I'll give it a
try.....

A mediator is a person who attempts to help people resolve conflict.
Mediators are neutral, have no interest in the outcome of the dispute,
and have no authority to make any decisions for the participants.  The
mediation process usually consists of these stages:

1.  Beginning (Opening)

2.  Middle (Story-Telling)

3.  Middle (Creative Problem-Solving)

4.  End (Closing)

The opening and closing are roughly equivalent to the same stages in the
OST process, and meet some of the same needs.  They're a bit more
structured, however.  The opening includes a conversation about the role
of the mediator, confidentiality, and other details.  It ends with the
participants signing an Agreement to Mediate.  The ending sometimes
includes a formal written agreement between the parties.

The middle part begins with story-telling.  Over time the story-telling
begins to include ideas about solving the problem.  Many people rush to
try to solve a problem before fully hearing or understanding each
other's stories, however, so the mediator might actively slow things
down by asking questions to help flesh out the stories.  Over time,
story-telling and problem-solving weave back and forth as understandings
merge and ideas emerge.  If there are multiple issues, the mediator
might also help the participants decide how they want to structure their
conversation, and might check in to see if they want to return to their
agenda if they begin straying to other issues and topics.

At a deeper level, I think the primary role of the mediator is to
provide emotional safety for the participants.  When the dialogue
between the participants is constructive, the mediator usually stays out
of their way.  If it becomes destructive, the mediator usually becomes
more active.  In these situations, the mediator might slow things down
again by summarizing the various points of view, asking questions to
help clarify issues that may still be misunderstood, or reframing toxic
language into non-toxic language.

All of that is how mediation feels to me in practice.  I'm still not
sure how to best convey any of that to students, or how to help them
find their own sense of how to help themselves and others through
difficult conflicts.  The training manuals I have are filled with steps
and stages, activities and discussion topics.  None of it resonates much
with me anymore.  What's a person to do?

.....okay, now I get it..... maybe I'm trying to teach something that's
at a different level of consciousness than I'm reaching for.  Or maybe
mediation itself isn't at that different level, but the way I'm trying
to teach it is.  Hence the frustration.  I think this fits with the
Wilber discussion, but I haven't read much of Wilber's stuff.  Any help
or insights here would be most appreciated ~

Julie