judi's previous posting is one of the gems i squirrelled away at
http://www.globalchicago.net/ost in the notes at the bottom of the page,
in the "opening the classroom" topic... john engle notes there too.  but
perhaps judi will  add another chapter to that story?  michael h

---

from judi richardson, dartmouth nova scotia, http://www.ponoconsultants.com

Okay teaching with OST. Say I'm covering a chapter that has mandatory
objectives. Well, I ask the class to study the chapter and any
additional handouts I might have. I also ask them to come to class with
one question from their reading. I open the space in circle format and
the theme is the chapter we are covering. In an 80 minute class,
students have about 30 to 40 minutes to discuss the topics posted.
During that time I'm checking on their topics to see how I'll address
them at the end. I'm also listing the objectives on the board and
deciding what has and hasn't been covered. The last 30 or 40 minutes of
the class, the students report on their discussions and ask questions. I
then cover the objectives by asking students questions and talking about
the ones we missed. Students quickly "get" that I'm going to do the
objectives and start to address them with their questions! The next
class if it is on that chapter I would do experiential learning or
exercises -- you could also use a few classes in open space to cover a
chapter.

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. wrote:

Judi--

If you please, Judi, how did you use OST to teach business law?

                             :-Doug. Germann

Visit:

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates