At 09:26 AM 10/7/2003 -0700, Chris Corrigan wrote:
I think an OSonOS is different from most other OST meetings because of who
is there.  There is no doubt in my mind that someone will eventually begin
an OSonOS by pointing at the papers in the middle of the circle and
saying&lets go!  My ego prevented me from doing that in Vancouver, but
Laurels morning and evening news circles were perfect.  Short and sweet
and inviting enough to have some significant business attended to without
imposing more facilitationon people.

Chris -- I tried to get away with "There's the paper and the wall. . . Go
to it! at an early OSONOS. Everybody sat there and looked at me like I had
taken their money for a movie and only showed the last part of the final
reel. I guess i learned from that experience that the opening is much more
than giving instructions on how to proceed. After all, everybody knows what
to do (certainly in an OSONOS) , but they have to be in the mood to do it.
And the opening ritual (and yes it is a ritual, I think) deals with
that.  Like all rituals, it can be well or poorly done -- heavy handed or
light as a feather. Knowing the difference, and how to make that difference
is where practice comes in. No formula will work, but genuine presence with
that particular group is a good place to start. And having said all of the
above, it is also true that a first timer with zero practice can surely do
the job, even if lines are muffed and confused. And therein lies the
secret, I think. It is not only about presence, but authentic presence.
Really being there as you really are. If a first timer is a little nervous
and fluffs a bit -- well that is authentically who they are, and folks will
deal with that. If I did the same thing, folks might reasonable suspect
that I was there -- but not all there.

harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive