Is it your devil or the Universe responding to your request? --BJ Peters
On Wednesday, December 10, 2003, at 12:42 PM, chris macrae wrote:

Its funny how one’s devil strikes.Just incoming to my inbox:

FIRST EVER HUMAN CAPITAL EUROPEAN SUMMIT 2004

Based on the outstanding success in the US, Balanced Scorecard Collaborative and Leading Minds proudly present the Human Capital European Summit 2004, “Aligning Human Capital with Business Strategy through the Application of the Balanced Scorecard”25-26th March 2004inAmsterdam.

•   Understand the alignment of Human Capital to strategy
•   Measure the contribution of Human Capital to business performance
•   Create a framework for organizational alignment
•   Create HR strategy maps and BSC’s

Register before31 January 2004 and receive a free copy of Kaplan and Norton’s new book, “Strategy Maps: Turning Intangible Assets into Tangible Outcomes.” Go to

www.bsceventportfolio.com/hcnl0304
or contact book...@leading-minds.com or call 377 97 97 39 46 to register.

I can tell you Human Capital is a topic that’s very important if we develop its tracking slowly (may take 5 years to openly find any benchmarks that get near to real human contexts) – so from my biased side I regard this pre-emptive conference strike as depressing BS > news.

Worse the book I am co-authoring has a very similar title to K&N’s new opus but will undoubtedly seek to mean something wholly different by maths of mapping human relationships. Chris Macrae, wcbn...@easynet.co.uk, www.valuetrue.com

Previously

Dear Lilly, and Open Spacers

AS one mathematician to another, its not often I disagree with you –and perhaps I am being pedantic- but strictly speaking the originators of Balanced Scorecard have confessed that its spirit was intended to show that the quadrants of customer, learning and competitor could be translated back into MBA measurements and business case numbers as usual – at least I remember reading such a bookmark and if its really important to provide that evidence I’d happily search for 2 hours or until I find it. At the end of the day a balanced scorecard averages and linearises its outputs in ways that look historically precise, which has nothing to do with what will happen or be innovated next (even though any relationship system is spinning growth or destruction depending how the people (relationships) in it have been treated over time)

Mathematically you cannot sum where the performance of a self-organising system is leading to (or any company where people are the heroes) in numbers (however many professors try or say you can) though you can provide maps to keep on iteratively editing for everyone to participate in which is what you should be governing the future of your most precious human links around

I did try to make this point at the guest lecture you invited me to give but I know its not something that MBAs who have just got in debt with long courses on traditional management theory want to hear.

I think what can do is say that the balanced scorecard can be used to open another door of management thinking but it certainly isn’t the measurement of that…and living systems like the human body – so I am told – are only ever balanced the second before they die (which may show that the professors didn’t really know the territory they were naming)

Sincerely

Chris Macrae