It strikes me that Raffi's list is less about OS than personal preference. We
certainly all have to make our choices, but personally I would not have any
problem opening space for the folks mentioned. Indeed, I think I already have,
and in fact I have done the same with organizations that might seem infinitely
worse. My reasons are several fold. First, it has been my experience that in
Open Space the strangest sorts of people begin to treat each other with
respect, find that integrity and authenticity are not only  useful, but
actually feel good (despite any immediate pain), begin to experience their
world as an infinitely connected place -- and not their private domain. And
much more.  From where I sit, these sorts of learnings are invaluable if we are
to have a less toxic, fearful and destructive world. Most important, these are
"experiences of" and not "words about" -- and experience beats
words/precepts/admonitions every day of the week. A second reason I would not
hesitate to open space for such folks is that I don't really believe that the
space is ours to give or withhold. It belongs to everybody already. I know that
folks have and will thank me for a gift -- but in truth it is a gift they
already possess, and if I have done anything, it is only to remind them of that
fact. In a word, I can't really think of any situation where I would not open
space given the opportunity.

The oppportunity to open space for some group is for me a profound honor and
privilege. But not all opportunities are appropriate for me. If I find that my
personal space is closed as far as that group or organization is concerned --
for whatever reason -- I can't really do the job. And continuing under those
circumstances would be, in my judgement, a major violation of principle, not
mention ethics! Reduced to its simplest terms, the fundamental question for me
is -- Is the space really open? And if not, is there a reasonable possibility
to Space might be opened. If my space is closed, I am obviously not the person
for the job , although somebody else might be. And if the space is closed in an
organization by official dictate uttered by the superior Control Freak -- there
is not too much room to work in. And worse yet, if it becomes clear that the
interest in Open Space is just another word for control -- well. . .

Harrison