One of the recurrent themes showing up here on OSLIST and more recently in
Halifax at OSONOS with a continuation in a marvelous project initiated by
Birgitt Williams to gather and preserve the Story of OS -- has been community,
are we such a thing, and what would that mean anyhow? Personally, I have always
been more than a little mystified as to what drives this discussion. At one
level, I find myself being quite content with the simple minded view, "We are
what we are." If this constitutes "community" that is wonderful. If it doesn't,
that is fine too.  But in either case, I take great pleasure in the ongoing
associations, interactions, comaraderie, and  support of this curious band of
folks who have chosen over the years to explore the world of Open Space or
maybe better -- explore the Open Space of the world.  I can certainly see great
value in exploring the nature of our life together very much in the manner of
doing a natural history, which is what I understand Brigitt to have proposed,
and I salute her for the effort. And by any reasonable standards it is
certainly a remarkable story. Constantly changing in terms of participants,
size, focus, interests -- the "X" group (to avoid for the moment that wonderful
word, "community") has existed for 20 years, convened innumerable gatherings
for training, research and sharing. Provided support and sustenance to millions
of people all across the globe which seemingly includes them, if only for the
duration of an "event" within the totally permiable boundaries of the X Group.
Some choose to remain, others choose to go -- and many seem hardly aware that
they were, ""inside" of anything -- but they do know, and will never forget,
that they were touched. Very odd, especially considering the fact that there
has been only the merest wisp of formal structure and a leadership that is most
obvious in its absense -- and yet it all works. At least it has certainly
worked for me.

Coming to a deeper understanding of what has transpired in our midst (wherever
that might be) can only be rewarding. But is this community? I think so, but I
must admit that it really doesn't make any difference to me. I like things just
the way they are -- knowing that they (things) are constantly changing and will
never been the same. Permanence doesn't seem to be part of the picture except
for the curious phenomenon that everytime space is opened "it" happens. Strange.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854