Chris, thanks for the added description. I'll be interested to hear how this unfolds.
Diane

On Mar 10, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Chris Weaver wrote:

Diane,

I understand your questions. No, to my knowledge our idea has not yet been tried, and many of the technical & process details are yet to be worked out.

We intend to invite our wonderful regional community foundation to be a
co-convenor of the experiment, and donor-advised funds are one good starting place. The idea is that there are some potential donors who would value having a more active and direct role in the synergy and development of local projects they support, and to develop an ongoing collaborative relationship with the people "on the ground." (These are the philanthropists who may be weary of people being only interested in their money and not their whole selves, their wisdom and vision and full presence). The centerpiece of the
process will be a 2.5-day OST that brings together potential donors and
project folks around a specific theme (in our case related to the broad idea of sustainability). There will be some pre-work done among both "groups"
prior to the event.  The drafting of State of Grace Documents among the
collaborators on any specific project will take place at a follow-up event designed for that purpose. Then the State of Grace Documents will become a vehicle for bringing folks together on a regular basis (perhaps quarterly) to share progress, stories, & challenges, to renew commitments (or not), and
to continue to develop the project together.

In the context of the dominant societal paradigm around money & power, the
intricacies of how philanthropy currently happens all have their proper
place. But as methodologies like open space and State of Grace Documents continue to show us, where there is passion and common purpose, there is
always a simpler way.

Chris