OS and conflict -- Over the years I have used Os in multiple conflicted
situation, ranging from The Middle East, Labor/Management situations and many
more that I can't remember. To this point, i have never found it necessary to
do anything other than OS, beginning, middle, and end. And in situations where
some other person (group) had done some form of community building, issue
identification, conflict resolution prior to the Open Space, I never saw any
advantage and quite often received comments from the participants that while
they thought the "warm up" was interesting, at the end of the day it seemed to
"waste time" (their words not mine) that could have been better spent in the
"real" (meaning OS) conversation. I am not sure I understand why all this is
true, although I think I am beginning to, at this point I have total confidence
that if the group seriously wants to engage the issues that divide (and also
unite) they can effectively do all that in Open Space. As for the Theme -- I
guess that depends on the group. When working with a bunch of Palestinian and
Israelis, the theme was "Ending the Cycle of violence." In a coroprate setting
with a nasty labor/management situation, the Theme was, "Fixing Arizona" --
which everybody understood to be the company and its relations -- which
everybody knew were broken.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.