Dan said - "As Open Space Facilitators, we (and we alone) are in a position
to maintain the sanctity of Open Space, and prevent it from becoming a tool
of manipulation and control in Agile adoptions."

Dan - I hear your thought, and can't help but appreciate your concern. But I
have to say, I think you are worrying needlessly. My reasons are two. First,
I really don't think that "we" (individually or all of us collectively) can
do a thing about the miss-use of Open Space if that is what some folks
choose to do. And I would agree that there is a very high likelihood that
they will try, if for no other reason than that "manipulation and control"
seems to be a driving force in management behavior generally, so why not in
Agile Adoptions? Speaking personally, I just can't bring myself to the point
of worrying about something I can do nothing about. Such worry consumes
massive amounts of time and energy that I would rather expend elsewhere.

My second reason is that I believe we have a very powerful Secret Agent.
Open Space itself. In every situation I have encountered, where people have
tried to make Open Space something it is not...there is a very natural self
correction. It may not occur in the moment, but somewhere, sometime people
come to realize that whatever it was they thought they were doing, it surely
wasn't Open Space. And of course, the real losers are the managers and
organizations that attempt to do the dastardly deed. Sort of rough justice,
but I never worry about the "sanctity" of Open Space. That critter is alive
and well, been that way for eons, and shows no signs of quitting. I can't
quite say the same for a lot of contemporary organizations and managers, but
people do make their choices. As the saying goes...You can lead a horse to
water, but you can't make him drink.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org