Ok, so "inconceivable emergence" and/or "unnamable possibility" then ?

On 11/11/14 4:47 PM, Michael Herman wrote:
i shared this with tricia the other day.  maybe it fits here:

in explaining the buddhist concept of emptiness, mingyur rinpoche (tibetan teacher) points out that they're not talking about nothingness or the void...

    while the buddha did teach that the nature of the mind -- in fact,
    the nature of all phenomena -- is /emptiness/, he didnt' mean that
    their nature was truly /empty, /like a vacuum.  He said it was
    empti/ness, /which in the tibetan language is made up of two
    words: /tongpa-nyi. /the word /tongpa/ means "empty," but only in
    the sense of something beyond our ability to perceive with our
    senses and our capacity to conceptualize.  maybe a better
    translation would be "inconceivable" or "unnamable."  the word
    /nyi/ , meanwhile, doesn't have any particular meaning in everyday
    tibetan conversation.  but when added to another word it conveys a
    sense of "possibility" -- a sense that anything can arise,
    anything can happen.  so when buddhists talk about /emptiness, /we
    don't mean nothingness, but rather an unlimited potential for
    anything to appear, change, or disappear.

sounds like open space to me. anything can happen. nothing is necessary.

and to your last question, daniel, for what it's worth: for me, the law of two feet has always seemed like the reciprocal of the principles, especially whenever/whatever/when it's over. the latter point to the vastness of everything/everytime that's possible, and remind us we can't control it. the law of two feet reminds us to practice within that vastness, to pay attention and keep moving.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com