Hi Dan

Wonderful ! I can see you walking away slowly from the center to open the
market place. Very powerful way to show how to "get out of the way to let
them go to work".

I am not sure to understand what you did for the closing circle. Was there
one mic passed around the circle  ? Or did you invite people who wanted to
talk to do it together with their 2 neighbors , thus having only a
(self)selection of participants talking ?

christine

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Daniel Mezick via OSList <
oslist@lists.openspacetech.org> wrote:

>  Greetings All,
>
> I recently received an invitation to open space twice (2 locations
> scheduled one week apart) for a very large USA organization. Both events in
> both locations had many hundreds in attendance; we arranged seating for 400
> at the 2nd event. (see link and pic listed below.) All in all over 1100
> persons in total received an invite to one or the other of these events.
>
> I learned a few things that I am sharing here now. My intention in sharing
> is to help others who might find themselves arranging and executing
> larger-attendance Open Space events....
>

> The general theme of the learning has everything to do with that idea of
> 'one less thing to do'....

> Thing1: Opening circle
>
> At the 1st event, when the moment of invitation arrived, I simply placed
> the microphone very slowly in the center of the circle.. and very slowly
> walked away, and found myself a seat. They figured the rest out ...without
> any assistance whatsoever from me. Awkwardness was replaced by flow as they
> realized I wasn't doing anything and the group advised itself.
>
> At the 2nd event, the client knew me and the process by then. So, after
> putting that microphone down, I just went all the way ...and slowly vacated
> the circle completely. It worked great...and felt really good too. I stood
> motionless well away from the circle for several minutes before moving
> slowly along to a new place and repeating that until I circled-the-circle
> exactly one time.
>
> I plan to keep doing something like this going forward.
>
> Any stuff that needed "managing" was handled by the group without any help
> from me.
>
> One less thing...

> Thing2: Marketplace "help"
>
> For large gatherings, some OST sages suggest situating 'helpers' at the
> time-space grid, presumably to assist participants if they need it.
>
> Not having done any OST events larger than 230 members, I was kind of
> unsure about what to do about this. Felt to much like "managing stuff" to
> me. So for the 2nd event I decided to omit any Marketplace assistance
> whatsoever from the experience-design, even though the group was much
> larger than my experience.
>
> After I slowly and deliberately explained and demonstrated the process of
> posting to the Marketplace, I laid the microphone down at center very
> deliberately, and slowly vacated the circle. And observed what they were
> going to do. And almost immediately this one guy (who posted early)
> lingered at the Marketplace. And he took it upon himself to orient anyone
> who had a question. Some of those he oriented then began also orienting the
> others.
>
> One less thing....

> Thing3: Space-Time Grid of Post-Its
>
> We expected 400++ so we had 18 session spaces and 5 1-hour time slots.  We
> we built a grid with 5 time-rows and 18 space-columns, with each time-row a
> [...]

[image: Christine Koehler, créatrice d'espace de Dialogue et de Coopération]
 Executive Coach, Médiateur
 www.christine-koehler.fr
 Tel :  06 13 28 71 38
  Fax :    09  72  32 36  65