yes to practice.  and my word was going to be "learning curve."

some years ago we did a one-day os session.  the morning got off to what
seemed like a slow start.  then they had lunch, a speech, and some award
presentations that ran to the long side.  when people got back to open
space after that, they really appreciated the difference -- and knew
exactly how to use the space.

when the sponsor says a few words at the opening of the opening, i always
suggest that they tell a story of how we got here.  in the breakouts, that
always seems like the logical thing to do, the convener saying somehting
about how they came to post this topic.  then those choosing to attend go
around and say how they came to choose this breakout.  stories about why,
how, what they care about.  and by the end of that, things are well
underway and there is obvious work to be done, or not, but either way, it
is working.

i never tell folks or try to rig for people what to do in the breakouts.
 sometimes i describe this process of people telling stories about how they
got here.

the other thing i do is never set out big circles in the breakout spaces.
 i set three chairs to mark each breakout space, with more chairs piled to
the sides.  the three chairs are pushed right together close, their front
edges forming a closed triangle.  set this way, they are impossible to use.
 the first person has to move them to whatever distance feels right to
them.  after three people come, everyone needs to move them to make room
for others.  in this way, i dictate nothing.  they literally open the space
at the center of each breakout group.  i've done it this way every time
since my first time, when i set big chairs and watched some small groups
squirm in spaces that were too big for them.

the stories of how we got here, the chairs arranged by participants, some
flips/markers if we're intending to capture notes, and then it just takes
practice, time to ride the learning curve.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com