Dear all

I posted this article online (you can read it with the links working here:
https://rationalmadness.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/what-happens-when-you-bring-a-conference-mindset-to-a-unconference/
)

A few OS folk suggested I share it here too in case any fruitful thoughts
emerge.

best wishes

Paul levy

*What happens when you bring a conference mindset to an unconference?*

I’ve attended three unconferences in a row recently that all claimed to
make use of open space technology. All three started very promisingly with
some tea and coffee and a big circle of chairs, not to mention reassuringly
blank walls and the smell of sticky tack.

We settle to silence as a facilitator stands up and there are smiles in
some, a sense of anticipatory earnestness in others.

We are told that this conference is going to be different, and that the big
difference is embodied in the two letters “un”. For this is an
unconference, unlike any normal conference, unusual for some, undoing the
traditional models of pre-decided meetings, unplanned, undecided,
unravelling in undesigned ways – in fact, generally “un.”

And that’s why we are here – for an emergent, self-organised conversation.

In all three unconferences, the “conference” bit began quickly to suffocate
and drive out the “un”.

I don’t intend to name and shame these events specifically. But there’s
some possibly useful reflecting to be done for anyone interested in
unconferences and open space.

*Story 1*

In story one, the facilitator over-facilitated the market place, “pushed”
for sessions and seemed unable to cope with silence. This led to the
facilitator looking at “allies” in the circle and hoping with popping
eyesballs that they would get up and offer a session. This indeed happened
and it stifled the more spontaneous potential in the room. The facilitator
fussed around sessions like a mother hen and kept making announcements
about how much time was left for sessions. “Of course, you can go on as
long as you all want, but I just wanted to let you know that….” At the end
of the day, the closing circle was over-facilitated and people were nudged
to speak and the allies were once again picked out like plants in an
audience.

*Story 2*

In this unconference there were half a dozen pre-set keynote talks – five
minutes long each before we opened the circle. This pulverised the energy
in the room and we were promised some more in the afternoon. The
facilitators couldn’t just trust the space to open and had preloaded the
day with some traditional content. Several five minutes turned into ten and
there were Powerpoint bullet points aplenty. It was as if open space
couldn’t be trusted. The  unconference was the filling in a kind of shit
sandwich. On reflection, the keynote talks really had little to bring to
the day and they jarred with the spirit of open space and unconferencing,
almost a facilitated act of hypocrisy. The afternoon sessions in the open
space dwindled and many people left (politely or furtively) at lunchtime. I
sense some irritation at the “designed” and imposed part of the day.

*Story 3*

This was a very dynamic day but the sessions felt a bit “cooked”. This was
because of two unnecessary facilitator interventions. The first was this:
Instead of an open space marketplace, we were all given post-it notes and
had to write our sessions. We then announced them to the group, one by one
and put them on a wall. This meant that silence for some people wasn’t
offered as an option. We were then sent for coffee as the second unneeded
intervention took place. The facilitation team tried to group the topics
and then allocated them (and us) to time slots and rooms. I found myself
twice in a room with so many topics forced together that some issues
weren’t covered and we remained very general. Of course, we were told, we
could use the law of two feet and I did notice that happening more than at
some unconferences I have been to. It took quite a while for those post-it
notes to be grouped and, looking back, I do wonder why the facilitators
didn’t keep faith with the unconference spirit and just let people announce
sessions, times and rooms themselves.

*Reflecting on all three stories*

I had the chance to observe all three stories as a participant. All of the
facilitators were “nice” people. All wanted the day to work and all had
stumbled upon unconferencing at some recent time in their lives. Two had
clearly copied the events they had attended. One had simply chosen to
tinker with open space and add in more facilitation. In all three cases,
the interventions affected the process, I believe, negatively. They did
that by:

*- being too dominant as a “speaker” at the start, and setting themselves
up as leaders*

*- by weaving over-heavy content into the event – unneeded talks, delivered
by bullet point slides*

*- being uneasy, and unable to deal with silence and patient openness*

*- by trying to organise the content and, insodoing, taking ownership of
that process away from the participants*

*One less thing to do! *

Harrison Owen, the herald of open space technology, regularly entreats
facilitators to look for one less thing to do. We should only add in to
open space when that truly feels needed in the moment. Over many years,
even decades of open space, it hardly ever makes sense to complicate, and
the role of the facilitator is really to disappear as quickly as possible.
Self-organise doesn’t need to be externally organised. Open Space
technology and all true unconferences are “un” because they offer the
absolute minimal process and structure to create a space for self-organised
conversing and working. It isn’t ever about the facilitator. Facilitation
is really one less thing to do. There’s a huge difference between doing
good and do-gooding so, whatever the benevolent motive, unconferences do
not need over-fussy, interfering facilitators. We do not need to fatten or
muscle up an open space conference with a few injected keynotes or some
clever facilitated “tool”.

“Just open the space” – and I would add “get the hell out of there, or join
in the conversation.”

Not all unconferences confirm to the model proposed as “open space
technology”. Most alternatives are designed with a bit more process
embedded. But even in these alternatives, (World Cafe is an example), the
same conference mindset can been seen, where the facilitator tampers with
the process in ways that over-complicate and undermine it.

ei1

So what was really going on?

What I believe was at the heart of those three stories is a “conference
mindset”. It is a kind of paradox. When you still hold a conference
mindset, an unconference is a risk and it is easy to dilute it, to revert
bits of it back to a more controlled, designed process. In a conference
mindset, facilitation is viewed as an important leadership role. At its
worst, you are the captain of the Good Ship Emergence and, though we may
not know exactly where we are going, it is YOUR boat and YOUR wheel. All of
this stifles the potential in the space which is opening. Sometimes the
space doesn’t open at all – people zip their mouths, get irritated,
superficially compliant and even fearful. Most just collude with the
developing mediocrity

Often the facilitators look relaxed, enjoying their own sense of “cool” and
are certainly fired up and excited. Often the event falls short but a
conference mindset often has lowered expectations etched into behaviour as
a norm and so, when the event doesn’t reach its potential, it is still
named and celebrated as revolutionary, successful and “the neatest thing
we’ve ever done.”.

A conference mindset tries to design the unconference to succeed. it tries
to engineer that success often losing faith with the truly open and
minimally structured nature of open space. Open Space Technology is
beautiful. A conference mindset can add wrinkles to its brows and cease up
its joints. Delightfully I have occasionally witnessed self-organising
communities ignore the interventions anyway. But not always. Often it is a
missed chance. Often it feels a bit ugly.

Some questions to think about before designing an unconference

If you recognise yourself in any of the stories above, I’d like to leave
you with a few questions to ponder…

… on second thoughts, you decide what those questions are.