thanks for all the input.  I am going to try to run naother gpx track up
through ct this weekend using osmand with turn by tuen.  I will add a
waypoint at beginning and end with names then rout ot the start, then
attempt to run the track with snap to street off and complete track off and
see what it does.

If it doesn't work and I just have to follow the dot is there a way to keep
it zoomed in scrolling in center of screen when just following a track
manually?

tia