On 02/08/2017 03:29 PM, Alexander Menk wrote:
Hi Harry,

Am 08.02.2017 2:03 nachm. schrieb "Harry van der Wolf"
<hvdw...@gmail.com <mailto:hvdw...@gmail.com>>:

    [...]
    When you are talking about bad and expensive internet I assume that
    that is either South-America or Africa.
    Those maps are much smaller anyway compared to North-America and
    especially Europe.

    So for which region is it?

Mainly Ethiopia. I integrate the map of Ethiopia which is around 50 MB..
No if you zoom out or GPS is not yet ready, you are lost in empty space.
For this reason I would like to have a very simple world-basemap, just
so that the screen is not empty. Would also be interesting to be
distributed with the standard OsmAnd i suppose ...

Alex

Hm, Ethiopia is very specific, regarding the internet services.

Some 2-3 years ago, it was not possible to use VoIP
nor prepaid Skype calls to Ethiopia phone numbers.

We had to call the Czech embassy by an expensive phone call
to manage visa for our friend from Uganda.

It was also said in media shortly before our call
that using Skype in Ethiopia was forbidden
and punished by up to 15 years arrest.
( reportedly the reason was an interest
of goverment in telephone company. )

--