Thanks for the response.

I remember that when I did the initial setup of Osmand Plus immediately
after installation I was asked to choose from a list of GPS status apps.  I
did so, and my chosen app launches whenever Osmand Plus starts up, and the
satellite counts are shown in a widget on the Osmand Plus screen.  It would
seem only reasonable that there should be a way to 'un-choose'...  but
maybe not.  I'll try uninstalling the GPS status app - it isn't a big
deal.  Will post results.