Martin Trautmann <tr...@gmx.de> writes:

> Sorry, but I do feel that OSMAND Live is pretty much useless, to offer
> updates "EVEN PER HOUR", if in fact the maps are delayed by weeks for
> the regular monthly schedule.

It would be good to understand how it works before declaring them
useless.

osmand live provides files that contain differences from published map
files.   So with a fairly recent map (and it seems to not have to be the
most recent one), and the delta updates, you have up to date data.

I find that I can add something to OSM, wait an hour  or sometimes two,
and then get the live update, and have the new things shown in osmand.

So from my viewpiont it works as intended.

I also don't understand why people are so upset about monthly updates
being 10-20 days behind the end of the month.  Yes, the next day would
be better, but 1) it's so much faster than any non-OSM approach and 2)
with osmand live, it matters very little.  Even without osmandlive,
having map data that's between 20 and 50 days old at any point isn't
much worse than having data that's between 5 and 35.