On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 02:14:21PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

I also don't understand why people are so upset about monthly updates being 10-20 days behind the end of the month. Yes, the next day would be better, but 1) it's so much faster than any non-OSM approach

If I remember correctly, back when I had a TomTom, the map updates from TomTom were available either on a 6 month cycle or yearly cycle.

OsmAnd monthly updates, even if they don't arrive until the 10th of the month, are already either six or twelve times more frequent than what TomTom provided.

I don't know what cycle TomTom is on now, as I switched to OsmAnd when TomTom decided to drop support for my old navigator.

and 2) with osmand live, it matters very little. Even without osmandlive, having map data that's between 20 and 50 days old at any point isn't much worse than having data that's between 5 and 35.

20-50 days old seems better than 180 or 365 days old (and of course with TomTom one had to pay per update or 'subscribe' to a limited number of updates).