Hi Andrzej,

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Brett,
> [I tried sending this yesterday with git-send-email but the list
> doesn't seem to accept, either way sorry if you get a duplicate]
>
> On 30 August 2010 13:15, Brett Henderson <br...@bretth.com> wrote:
> > I finally got around to checking out your patch.  I've just checked it
> > in.
> > I changed the name of the task to --flatten or --f for short because I
> > don't
> > believe any other tasks have filter in the name.
>
> Thanks.  I seem to remember there were some but I may be talking
> about a terribly old version. (tagfilter?)

Yes, there is a --tag-filter task.  So there is one other task with filter
in the name ... Oh well, there's less typing now :-)

> > I notice that it assumes that data is sorted.  Ideally it should utilise
> > something like the SortedEntityPipeValidator class to ensure that data is
> > sorted and to throw an error if it isn't.  Do you have time to add that
> > in?
>
> The attached diff makes it use SortedEntityPipeValidator, however
> SortedEntityPipeValidator bails out immediately on multiple objects with
> the same id so it doesn't work.  Possibly I need a new validator, is my
> thinking correct?  I'm sending the patch anyway to see if you're
> ok with using the validator this way.

Yes, it looks like it will need a new validator that allows two versions of
the same entity in a row.

I don't mind how you use the validator.  I'm not too fussy about the
internal implementation of tasks.  Your usage is fine.  For an example of
how I've used it in the past check out the
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.dataset.v0_6.impl.DatasetStore class.  But yours
might be better actually.

> The reason I didn't add it in the first place was that I generally trust
> the data I throw at osmosis so don't want to use cycles for testing, I'm
> missing a way to globally turn off creation of the validators.  Each of
> them adds at least a full function call per entity.

I try to avoid adding options without good reason.  If you can show that the
additional validation slows things down then we can look at ways of
disabling them, but I highly doubt that the performance impact will be
measurable.  I think that one extra function call per entity will be lost in
the noise.

Brett