Hi Suketu,
See inline.
On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:59 AM, suketu soni wrote:

Hi,

A point-to-point link type is included twice in a Router-LSA.

1) As Link Type = 1 (p2p), with neighboring router's RID as Link ID. This happens when the adjacency status is FULL.

2) As Link Type = 3 (stub), with IP subnet address as Link ID. This happens when the interface state is point-to-point, regardless of the status of adjacency.

I found out that if a point-to-point link is used as passive- interface, then adjacency will not be formed. Hence, link type = 1 advertizement will be absent. However, a link type = 3 advertizement of such a link makes it reachable.

Please share more examples where it helps to advertize a p2p link type in two ways. My intention is to understand the need for having two types of advertizements for the same p2p link.

The two links serve completely different purposes. The type 1 link is to advertise connectivity to the other router, i.e., an edge in the SPF graph, while the type 3 link is to advertise the IP subnet.

Thanks,
Acee

Thank you.

Best wishes
Suketu Soni
One blink is all it takes for the world to change. One click and MSN India helps you catch up Try it!