Managed to solve my OSRM backend build issues (specifically osmpbf not
found) through a question I started over at GIS Stackexchange:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/161955/trying-to-build-osrm-could-not-find-osmpbf

Now I am trying to build the tools/simpleclient.cpp, but having
trouble finding all the required libraries. It doesn't help that my
gcc is very rusty and I don't think I've every used it on Linux (this
is Ubuntu 14).

Is there a sample command line for gcc, list of required library
parameters, or makefile that I could crib from?
Working from within the osrm-backend/tools directory, I have:

gcc simpleclient.cpp -I../include -I../third_party -std=c++11
-L../build -lboost_system -lstdc++ -lpthread -lm -lrt -ldl

This has been derived from some trial and error. It currently gives a
long list of undefined reference errors to things like
boost::program_options::error_with_option_name::what()
I'm also not convinced I'm referencing the osrm library properly, either.

Best regards,

Richard Marsden
PS: Yes I have some gcc and make books on order :-)